A couple recent images

STiZzle2010

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My son is moving on to high school and he loves to play the electric guitar. He asked me to take an image of him with his guitar which I am always happy to do. While he was in school, I tried to seek a unique backdrop and we were blessed with a gorgeous sunset. Looking back, I wish that we had brought his practice amp or at the very least, plugged the "electric" guitar in! Nontheless, it gave me some time to spend with my boy and at the end of the day, he loved the image.

I am always looking to improve and CC is welcome. Currently I am not set up for flash photography otherwise I would have definitely used it in the image. This was shot at f/2.8, 1/250th, ISO 500, and at 200mm (I specifically chose a higher shutter speed as I was laying on my back using my beer gut for stability but, I was still shaky and I wanted to make sure I got a sharp image). I had a white reflector to the camera left and I used a Nikon D5500 with a Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 Di Vc lens.

rsz_2thumbnail_1.jpg

I do not spend any time in front of the camera and I decided to try a self portrait while waiting for my wife to get home from running errands. Setting everything up especially focus when you are the subject is not easy but thanks to my tripod and wireless remote shutter, I was able to get it done.

For those wondering why I choose to wear these glasses as well as my hat. I suffered several traumatic brain injuries during my deployments to Iraq with the US Army back in 2003-2004. As a result, I have been left with permanent brain damage and photosynthesis (light sensitivity) as well as other symptoms that I deal with daily. As a result, I have to wear dark tinted glasses daily, even at night. The hat also helps to block out light coming in from the top of my glasses and it is also a symbol of my deployment. It is who I am the a good representation of how I appear daily. I wanted a low key kind of look with a fade into black darkness. As always, I am always looking to improve so CC is welcome. This was shot at f/5, 1/40th, ISO 250, 70mm. All natural lighting and I used a Nikon D5500, Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 Di VC lens. This image was taken in my garage using a black sheet as a backdrop lol .

rsz_2self_portrait.jpg

Last edited:
God bless you, our youngest is 100% disabled from debilitating PTSD and TBI, thanks to IED's and combat in that Hell hole part of the world (5th Engineer Battalion)

I like the perspective on your son, and you're correct it could have used more light especially in the eyes. A reflector can move a lot of light, but sometimes you have to work with placement to get the right effect. Moving it front to back, and up close barely out of the frame, to find the right location. I'm looking at it on my tablet so the colors might be off, but have you tried adjusting WB to the T-shirt?

The self portrait is very good.

Good pics/ Like the guitar shot! The rim light on his hair...ya' just can't beat that effect and color!

Love these shots. Thanks for explaining how you achieved them.

God bless you, our youngest is 100% disabled from debilitating PTSD and TBI, thanks to IED's and combat in that Hell hole part of the world (5th Engineer Battalion)

I like the perspective on your son, and you're correct it could have used more light especially in the eyes. A reflector can move a lot of light, but sometimes you have to work with placement to get the right effect. Moving it front to back, and up close barely out of the frame, to find the right location. I'm looking at it on my tablet so the colors might be off, but have you tried adjusting WB to the T-shirt?

The self portrait is very good.

I'm so sorry to hear. There are many of us who have been affected for the rest of our lives. Regardless I personally have no regrets and I would do it again!

My daughter was holding the reflector for me and I kept having her move to try and get more light. I should have used the silver silver instead on the white but, it's a learning experience. I felt like the WB was off too and his skin tones have been bothering me. I will continue to play around with it.

Good pics/ Like the guitar shot! The rim light on his hair...ya' just can't beat that effect and color!

Thank you very much!

Love these shots. Thanks for explaining how you achieved them.

Thank you! I like to give as much info so that I can get accurate feedback and it may help others who are leaning like I am.

Love the POV of your son and the golden sunset. Great job on the self portrait. I have used a black throw blanket taped to an old projector screen as a backdrop. Depending on the light, the blanket is somewhat reflective. Your sheet idea seems better.

@STiZzle2010 Thank you for your service, God Bless & yes the images are nice too!

Cheers,

Enezdez

Nice shots. On flash units, Yongnuo do pretty darned good units at reasonable prices if budget is your restriction. :)

Two very nicely taken shots, like the one of your son as imo I think you have caught him just right and really like the lighting in the whole photo, also a very good shot of your self too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back