A little practice never hurt. (photos inside) And a question!

matt62485

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Rode around downtown Wilmington, NC (where I live) and took some shots.

No C&C required b/c theres too many pictures... feel free to though if you're bored, but I'm not expecting it.

I do have the question on one though.

Some of these aren't technically good but it was good practice.

Question: I was having a problem shooting the first photo shown. The sun was coming down behind it making the sky fairly bright and contrasty due to the clouds. The woods where this creek and bridge were coming over were very dark and shaded due to the trees. I couldn't for the life of me get a decent exposure where the sky wasn't blown out... or the woods and bridge turned into a huge blob of black... This is the best I got.

1.What am I missing? ISO needed bumped up more or what? ISO200, 1/125, f4.5

7-2.jpg

1-5.jpg

2-4.jpg

4. power lines killed this....

4-4.jpg

5-3.jpg

6-3.jpg

9-1.jpg

3-4.jpg

Love the color in #7. I think, and others can correct me if i'm wrong, what you need is a graduated neutral density filter. That should help. I think i'm still learning myself though.

ahh hah! i thought i had read something about this once before and couldn't remember where/what. now i have a basis to search off of... thanks!

yea #7. the sky was awesome tonight

Question: I was having a problem shooting the first photo shown. The sun was coming down behind it making the sky fairly bright and contrasty due to the clouds. The woods where this creek and bridge were coming over were very dark and shaded due to the trees. I couldn't for the life of me get a decent exposure where the sky wasn't blown out... or the woods and bridge turned into a huge blob of black... This is the best I got.

1.What am I missing? ISO needed bumped up more or what? ISO200, 1/125, f4.5
Try shooting it in the morning, with the light behind you, instead of the afternoon as you did.

so its just a matter of the dynamics of the light the camera sees and not operator error? I wouldve done an HDR and tried that but it was very windy, and i had no stable ground for a tripod if i had a good one.

ill try the morning oneday. thanks everyone!

Nice shots. Even if number 1 isn't perfect I still like it.

some guy told these were "way too blue for me"

white balance that bad?

you can do hand held HDR. Photomatix corrects slight shifts very well.

Nice shots! #1 would have really benefited from HDR.

I think your pictures are nice.. I am new too.. But her is my 2 cents on #5. The letters on top of the building.. I know this can be done, but I have no idea how to do it.. Can you take the letters and the part the building they are on off?

Other than that..nice!!

You get 40 Nikon SB900 on full power and light the crap out of those trees.

Nice shots......!

For #1, there are a few ways to pull that off, and I think the majority of them have been mentioned.

I really enjoy #2,,5, & 8....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back