a really stupid question

lugnut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok, i spent all afternoon playing with photoshop CS2 and created a few HDR pictures. i tried to send them to photobucket so i could put the pictures on the site but it was sssslllllooooowwww. i looked at the picture and it was 17.7mb!!!

how do i make this monster smaller? sorry for the really stupid question, as luck would have it; i didn't get the brains or the looks:(

Make the image size about 1200x800 first. Second, when you save, there SHOULD be a slider (if its like CS3) asking you what quality you want to save it as. You can adjust that and make it lower (taking less space) or higher quality (taking up more).

If there's no slider, sorry. I don't use CS2, so I don't know exactly what you're looking at. But changing the image size will DRASTICALLY cut down your file size. Also, make sure its saved as a JPG, and not a TIFF or something like that.

i was trying to save it as jpeg to begin with but there was no jpeg option, that kind of supried me! i had to save as png. that was the only thing i saw that is compatable with photobucket.

i'll go back and check again though

i was trying to save it as jpeg to begin with but there was no jpeg option, that kind of supried me! i had to save as png. that was the only thing i saw that is compatable with photobucket.

.png is lossless... which means it is HUGE!!! But, its perfect quality, so its great to work with until you get the image just how you want it.

So, maybe underneath where you'd type in the name of the file, there's a drop down menu that says, "File type?"

i found jpeg this time around. there was a boat load more options this time for some reason.

oh well, thanks for your help

Ha!
You just helped me too.

I always used "Save for web and devices" which is fine, except it strips my EXIF info of the file. When I did Save As, I didn't get a Jpeg option either. I just thougth maybe it has to do with bit depth, and sure enough, I lowered the TIFF's bit depth, and ta daaaa, more save options.

thanks!

there you have it.

of course, now i'm getting a failed validation error from photobucket. maybe it's just time for bed LOL

Your image was in 16-bit mode and JPEG can only be 8-bit mode. That's why there was no JPEG option.

With your image open in CS2 click on Image>Mode>8-bit, then you will again have the save as JPEG option.

In older versions of PS, you had to flatten the image (remove layer info) before you can save as a JPG.

what is ment by "removing the layers"? does that mean that it will not save with all 3 pictures put together?

i did find the jpeg option after going to 8-bit but now for some reason photobucket will not let me upload it.

Most reactions

Back