Action photos looking grainy

knegliaphotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've been having a problem shooting in the morning and late afternoon hours. At about 8am, I typically start shooting action shots and it seems like 8/10 times when I open up the aperture, the photos end up being grainy. I have the same problems on cloudy days. The lack of light in general really trips me up. Any suggestions of how to set my camera to get a clearer shot? Thank you.

Grainyness happens for several reasons:

The natural film grain - obviously the higher the ISO, the bigger the particles and the grainier the image.

Mis-exposure - An under or over exposed image will cause the film to break down. This is especially noticeable with low lighting situations where the grain can be seen in the black areas.

Damaged film - Film which has been exposed to certain levels of heat and humidity may break down and cause grain.

Crap film - Some films like Kodak Gold 400 and Fuji 800 have unpleasant grain which you may not like the look of.

If this doesn't help, let us know what you're using, what film and settings and post an example and I'm sure someone can indicate which reason is the most likely for this failure.

Rob

Most reactions

New Topics

Back