Advice on this product please!

Mikeyb90

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I posted this in the beginners section also.. I'm looking for someone to tell me how exactly this set up works.
image.png

That depends on what you want to photograph. People, stilllife, animals,... do you have any preference? In general you´d use one as a keylight and the other one as fill, but there are much more things to consider like distance to object, etc..

Posting in multiple forums is not allowed by TPF.
Staff have been notified of the cross posting so it should soon be taken care of.

The posting of images you didn't make, or don't have explicit rights to use, is also not allowed.
ThePhotoForum.com FAQ | Photography Forum

That set up can be used in a pretty wide variety of ways depending on the type of photograph you are wanting to make.
The lights are pretty under-powered.
The lights can be triggered with the radio transmitter, mounted on the camera hot shoe, or by the sync cable if your camera has a port for the cable.

That depends on what you want to photograph. People, stilllife, animals,... do you have any preference? In general you´d use one as a keylight and the other one as fill, but there are much more things to consider like distance to object, etc..

So far I just want fill for people.. And I was wondering if I can take this into the field with me

Sorry about that.. I just took a screenshot from a sale page of Facebook. And I was gonna buy this today if it works out. It's just for outdoor portrait work.. Wondering if it can be taken with some sort of power source

Wondering if it can be taken with some sort of power source
Are you asking about a battery or a generator? If it doesn't say they can be powered by battery, then they probably cannot. A small generator should work fine.

Whatever is easiest/cheapest. I just want some soft fill light for when I'm in the woods and whatnot

Uuuups - sorry, I just reread - I was googling the set and then forgot to reread your post ;).
Hmmmm - you would first need a power source. There isn´t too much available, and if so they are rather heavy and bulky.
You can use it as a fill outdoors, but you´d also need to consider flash sync speed of your camera. If you want to create portraits with shallow depth, you´d need an ND filter.
Is flash sync speed a familiar term for you?
Most cameras have a flash sync of 1/250th or slower. Without ND filter this would result in roughly f11 for aperture on a bright sunny day. Not too nice for portraits.

What kind of budget are you looking at and exactly how are you planning to use the lights? You can get some traditional strobes and then buy a portable battery pack like the PaulCBuff Vagabond Mini. Bear in mind that you'll be paying almost $200 extra to have a battery pack for your strobe.

You could look into the bare bulb "speedlight" style lights that have their own internal battery. They are ideal for fast moving location work, or just when you need to travel as light as possible, but still need more than what a standard speedlight offers.

Whatever is easiest/cheapest. I just want some soft fill light for when I'm in the woods and whatnot
Have you tried working with a speedlight yet? That's about as cheap and easy as it gets. Besides, I'm a firm believer that everyone should have at least one speedlight. ;)

What kind of budget are you looking at and exactly how are you planning to use the lights? You can get some traditional strobes and then buy a portable battery pack like the PaulCBuff Vagabond Mini. Bear in mind that you'll be paying almost $200 extra to have a battery pack for your strobe.

You could look into the bare bulb "speedlight" style lights that have their own internal battery. They are ideal for fast moving location work, or just when you need to travel as light as possible, but still need more than what a standard speedlight offers.

Minimal budget.. I've been able to get away with adding fill in LR but I want to get set up to do it right. The equipment that I posted was 100 bucks. I'd really like to use constant lights if I could

Have you tried working with a speedlight yet? That's about as cheap and easy as it gets. Besides, I'm a firm believer that everyone should have at least one speedlight. ;)

I used to have one.. But honestly I don't like the straight on flash.. Secondly, if I'm shooting outdoor portraits, I'm typically using a wide aperture and faster shutter speed.. With a speed light I can only go up to a 200 shutter speed and at that point everything is blown out. Unless I'm missing something?

Uuuups - sorry, I just reread - I was googling the set and then forgot to reread your post ;).
Hmmmm - you would first need a power source. There isn´t too much available, and if so they are rather heavy and bulky.
You can use it as a fill outdoors, but you´d also need to consider flash sync speed of your camera. If you want to create portraits with shallow depth, you´d need an ND filter.
Is flash sync speed a familiar term for you?
Most cameras have a flash sync of 1/250th or slower. Without ND filter this would result in roughly f11 for aperture on a bright sunny day. Not too nice for portraits.

Familiar but not educated lol. I have the filter but not an adapter ring for the lens I use.. Didn't think about that. My other concern is that I really don't like straight on flash..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back