Air Show

Warhorse

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I will be going to my first ever air show next Sunday. This show will be featuring the Navy's Blue Angels.

Will be taking my D500 with a Sigma 150-600mm on it, and also will have my D5600 around my neck with an 18-105mm.

Looking for pointers and tips. Should I bring a tripod?

The only time I've found a tripod helps is when our local airshow continues after dusk. A folding chair has always seemed a better accessory to me. (We get 10 minute gaps between displays)

With jets keep the shutter speed as high as practical, but with the propeller aircraft results are better at slower speeds (panning with the aircraft) 1/500s is the fastest that works IMO, and some aircraft need 1/100 or more.

The only time I've found a tripod helps is when our local airshow continues after dusk. A folding chair has always seemed a better accessory to me. (We get 10 minute gaps between displays)

With jets keep the shutter speed as high as practical, but with the propeller aircraft results are better at slower speeds (panning with the aircraft) 1/500s is the fastest that works IMO, and some aircraft need 1/100 or more.
I agree. Pan without tripod and use fastest shutter you can get with jets, and the slowest you can get away with for prop planes to un-freeze the blades- 1/400 works well.

Should I use spot metering, or matrix?

A non photography tip. Be aware of where your standing in their flight paths. I was at a show in Pensacola, standing in a large open area between a hanger and the bleachers. Halfway through the show one snuck in from behind me low and fast. As he got to the edge of the runway in front of me, he kicked in the afterburner and went straight up. Not only did i feel the heat, but the noise scared the $%&6/ out of me. Good thing I had the camera strap around my my neck or it would have went flying.

As others have mentioned, panning is a given. If you can pan in a smooth steady arc, you don't need an excessively high shutter. Choose your lens/camera combo carefully for weight. A long heavy lens is great till you start trying to swing it around. Atmospheric haze is most likely going to be an issue that will require exposure compensation. In processing the Dehaze slider in LR will be your best friend.

Reactions: pez
Thanks guys! Fast shutter speeds for panning jets, slower shutter speeds for prop planes, matrix metering, continuous focusing with 3D tracking for all.

Anything else?

A non photography tip. Be aware of where your standing in their flight paths. I was at a show in Pensacola, standing in a large open area between a hanger and the bleachers. Halfway through the show one snuck in from behind me low and fast. As he got to the edge of the runway in front of me, he kicked in the afterburner and went straight up. Not only did i feel the heat, but the noise scared the $%&6/ out of me. Good thing I had the camera strap around my my neck or it would have went flying.

As others have mentioned, panning is a given. If you can pan in a smooth steady arc, you don't need an excessively high shutter. Choose your lens/camera combo carefully for weight. A long heavy lens is great till you start trying to swing it around. Atmospheric haze is most likely going to be an issue that will require exposure compensation. In processing the Dehaze slider in LR will be your best friend.
Blue Angels just LOVE to do the sneaky pass from behind, lol

Blue Angels just LOVE to do the sneaky pass from behind, lol

We have a place on the water of Weiss lake about 10 miles from the GA line. Occasionally they train out of NAS Atlanta. Using the lake/river as their playground, we get our own private show.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, 60-70% of rain/thunderstorms tomorrow. We will be heading there rain or shine, and staying till they kick us out. Our tickets cost $225 per vehicle, so our son, daughter in law, and 8 year old granddaughter, and my neighbor friend, are heading there in my wife's "granny van". No refunds if the show is cancelled for any reason...it is the Yankee Air Museum's main fund raiser. 🤞

Reactions: pez
Did not get rained out, but the skies were gray.
_DSC0087-Enhanced resized.jpg

I will have to work with my Lightroom Classic to figure out a way to resize pictures to post here. This one is not among my best from the day.

Did not get rained out, but the skies were gray.
Not bad but I think I mentioned one of the things you'll always have to deal with is atmospheric haze. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. This is why I use spot metering rather than any type of evaluative metering. I will sample different sections of the sky to determine my DR is in range, but I want the plane on the money, the rest I can adjust post. I also don't use excessively high shutter speeds. I caught this back in 2016, appropriately named "The Mile High Club". LOL
IMGP3593.jpg

I too have a New Nikon D800 new Sigma 100-600mm!! Got ticket to Blue Angel,s October 29... 3 days befor my birthday.
My Question.. what Nikon "pictures control" settigs should I use for the Angel's? Vivid??

I too have a New Nikon D800 new Sigma 100-600mm!! Got ticket to Blue Angel,s October 29... 3 days befor my birthday.
My Question.. what Nikon "pictures control" settigs should I use for the Angel's? Vivid??
SMOKE665 .... I have a beach house in Gulf Shores, Alabama. Blue Angel's are based in Pensicola NAS, 7 minutes away from us with afterburners on. Also their practice airspace in over our specific beach! When they come home for the winter they choose a new squad and practice over us. There is NO sleeping in when they come over at 8 am!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back