Airports & Film (again)

ang

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Sorry to bring this back up, but after doing a search, I still have a couple of questions . . .

I'm flying to Europe soon, I usually use 100 or 200 Fuji Provia/Velvia.

1)Can the film be damaged prior to being used or only after it is exposed?

2)Anyone have experience with international travel and asking the attendants to "hand check" their film?

3)Can developed slides be effected by x-ray machines?

(I like Matt's idea about getting the film developed before returning, but who do I trust?)

Sorry to bring this back up, but after doing a search, I still have a couple of questions . . .

I'm flying to Europe soon, I usually use 100 or 200 Fuji Provia/Velvia.

1)Can the film be damaged prior to being used or only after it is exposed?

Yes, but you don't have to worry. I've traveled extensivley to Europe, Asia, Austrailia, etc. Never had a problem. I've had mine go through at least 8 - 10 x-rays during the trip. Rembember that many museums and the like also x-ray bags when you enter so only take the amount of film you will use for the day and plan on how many of those places you might go.

2)Anyone have experience with international travel and asking the attendants to "hand check" their film?

It varies greatly. Some will do it others absolutely refuse. I've taken to putting all my film (minus the canisters) into two ziploc bags. One for unexposed and one for exposed. I put a lable on each bag that reads, "Lab - Push Process to 3200ISO" (doesn't matter what speed is actually in the bags). I point to that and ask for hand inspection. Some times it works, other times they still want to put it through.

3)Can developed slides be effected by x-ray machines?

No. Basically you don't have to worry too much about it. You can try to gently discuss the point but if you get into an argument you assure yourself of getting the worst treatment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back