AKC MASTER HUNT TEST RUN

Irishwhistler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Aye Mates,
I ran retrievers during a recent AKC hunt test, with dogs entered in the Master Hunter and Junior Hunter stakes. Judging was tough across the various stakes with 13 of 60 dogs qualifying at the Master Hunter level, 3 of 16 qualifying at the Senior Hunter level, and 19 of 33 qualifying at the Junior hunter level.

18aufpc7SWijP0zbcVIGzw_thumb_94c6_Fotor.jpg

Sending ~ Here I am seen preparing to send y retriever gun dog HRCH UH TTF CRAIGHORN KIFFIN TRAD SH, call name TRAD, on a long retrieve through an array of field Canada Goose silhouette decoys.

LdbTiA52T8mEDog4+PQKqQ_thumb_94c5_Fotor.jpg

The Return ~ Having made the retrieve, my gun dog retriever TRAD is seen here making the long run back to my position at the line after he has made the successful location and pick up of a mallard duck. Whilst under judgement, retrievers are assessed on their ability to remain steady until sent, to mark the fall of the bird accurately, to go directly to the area of fall and locate the bird, to hunt with drive and persistence and to do so with style / athleticism, and to return to the handler and make presentation of the bird to the handler gently. Birds are examined by the judges for any signs of rough handling by the retriever and if deemed "unfit for the table" are cause for disqualification of the retriever.

1aVnvN0mS+WYSqLwvUMCFw_thumb_94c8_Fotor.jpg

Incoming ~ TRAD is seen here making return of a mallard duck retrieved during the land series of an AKC Master Hunter stakes this past Saturday. TRAD is about to J-hook and sit at my left side and will hold the bird until I command "GIVE" at which time he will gently release the bird into my hand. Unfortunately we were eliminated during the first series of this event at this weekend's hunt test event. The other two series include the water series, and the water / land series, those having similar requirements of the dogs while they work in the aquatic environment as well as on a combination of water and land scenarios as set up by the judges.

The weekend long event made for great camaraderie shared by retriever enthusiasts and for a grand time in working with their dogs toward testing their skill levels .

I also ran two dogs in the Junior Hunter stakes, LOUTER CREEK'S PLAY ON STORM, call name STORM and TTF JACKSON LAD O' CLOONFINISH, call name JACKSON. STORM and JACKSON are a Standard Poodle and Labrador retriever respectively. STORM was eliminated during the Junior Hunter stakes for dropping a bird upon return of a mark retrieved during the land series portion of the hunt test. STORM'S first hunt test, he did well overall with the exception of his failure to deliver the bird completely to the hand of the handler.

JACKSON was outstanding on both land and water and received qualifying score for his third of three hunt tests he has been entered in. JACKSON will qualify for his Junior Hunter title once he has achieved his fourth qualifying score in an AKC Junior Hunter stakes.

Al in all, a great weekend spent working with these incredible retrieving breed dogs and grand times had with friends from the sporting dog enthusiast community.

Cheers,
THE DOG WHISTLER ☘️

Most reactions

New Topics

Back