All I want...

Fair enough. Though I wasn't going after vivid colors here, but rather a washed out nostalgic feeling, I can understand your points. I don't mind the reflection being blown out a bit - it feels more real to me, those bright winter afternoons when the sun can blind you a little bit.

I like this picture a lot. It definitely has that nostalgic/sentimental feeling. I have lots of these types of pictures--ones that mean much more to the photographer and his family than to a casual observer.

And, I definitely agree with the reflection. It feels more real.

Thanks, waday. :) I'm glad someone else is getting the feeling I was going for.

Just to clarify, I don't have any sentimental attachment to the actual place in the picture. The little hut is not mine and it's not even a place that I go very often. But l was definitely going for a certain sentimentality for the image and I was very pleased that it turned out the way I imagined it. I did a bit of tweaking and actually pulled back from some edits that looked okay but were starting to make the image too manipulated, and thus, too manipulative.

I get that feeling Leonore. Sometimes, it takes a little time at the place where the sand meets the sea, and the sea meets the sky, to put one's troubles into perspective, and have the stresses wash away.

Sand and sea and sky_1531.JPG

I like it limr, it's old style and that's part of the point of the shot. The shallow depth of field works really well here and the lack of detail in the hut and trees gives the impression of a dreamy state, as if that exact location isn't the point of this image but the impression of this kind of place that many of us have is.

Some great images on this thread but my comments here are directed at the original photo.

I like the composition very much. Quite apart from the footprints drawing the eye in and through the image, there is a lovely and subtle frame in frame thing going on with the positioning of the hut between the posts.

The sky being rather pale and the water quite bright doesn't take much if anything away from the scene, for me; although lots of people would disagree and say a different time of day would have made for a "better" exposure. Shooting into the sun isn't easy and this came off well, imo. Getting sand to look like sand is also not like falling off a log, and so I think the exposure is very reasonable.

Too often these days people strive to produce "perfect" images whilst forgetting that a good photo should have something to say. Sadly, the "perfect" images are generally silently sterile, whereas this photo is shouting from the rooftops.

I get that feeling Leonore. Sometimes, it takes a little time at the place where the sand meets the sea, and the sea meets the sky, to put one's troubles into perspective, and have the stresses wash away.

View attachment 91023

I always need to be near water. It could be a nice sandy beach, a rocky coast, a lake, a river...water always make me feel better. You said it a lot more eloquently, though :)

I like it limr, it's old style and that's part of the point of the shot. The shallow depth of field works really well here and the lack of detail in the hut and trees gives the impression of a dreamy state, as if that exact location isn't the point of this image but the impression of this kind of place that many of us have is.

Thanks, weepete! The dreamy state was definitely part of the feeling I had when I saw the scene: peace and quiet was just a dream.

Some great images on this thread but my comments here are directed at the original photo.

I like the composition very much. Quite apart from the footprints drawing the eye in and through the image, there is a lovely and subtle frame in frame thing going on with the positioning of the hut between the posts.

The sky being rather pale and the water quite bright doesn't take much if anything away from the scene, for me; although lots of people would disagree and say a different time of day would have made for a "better" exposure. Shooting into the sun isn't easy and this came off well, imo. Getting sand to look like sand is also not like falling off a log, and so I think the exposure is very reasonable.

Too often these days people strive to produce "perfect" images whilst forgetting that a good photo should have something to say. Sadly, the "perfect" images are generally silently sterile, whereas this photo is shouting from the rooftops.

Wow, Fred, thank you for such kind words! :blush:

Well said Fred. It seems much of photography has become simply an art form instead of documenting a moment of time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back