All Those Curves

deeky

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I probably would have totally missed this one if I hadn't been sitting and waiting for some clouds to pass for another shot. I'm curious to know your thoughts on the composition. As I worked it, the square crop was the only one that I thought really worked.

IMG_7848a1 by breckmiller, on Flickr

Agree totally on the square crop. I like the angle, which minimizes the amount of concrete from the sidewalk and the underside of the arch. I'd be tempted to crop a little on the bottom and left, but that's probably just me.

I probably would have totally missed this one if I hadn't been sitting and waiting for some clouds to pass for another shot. I'm curious to know your thoughts on the composition. As I worked it, the square crop was the only one that I thought really worked.

IMG_7848a1 by breckmiller, on Flickr

I really like the curves here, nice find!

There's something weird with the orientation of this. As far as i can tell on my phone, the street looks dead level but the railing and ledge are not.

I'd consider cloning or cropping this out.

There's something weird with the orientation of this. As far as i can tell on my phone, the street looks dead level but the railing and ledge are not.
You should not assume streets are always level. The railing will not appear level because the wall is not square to the camera. Looking at the steps, I'd say deeky leveled this just right.

You should not assume streets are always level. The railing will not appear level because the wall is not square to the camera. Looking at the steps, I'd say deeky leveled this just right.

I'm not assuming anything, scrolling my screen to check with a horizontal line.

The street matches, the railing does not.

I only checked when i thought it looked weird.

I'm not assuming anything, scrolling my screen to check with a horizontal line.

The street matches, the railing does not.

I only checked when i thought it looked weird.

I think I see what you are talking about. That very top railing & wall tilt left slightly. But if that were leveled, the road would then tilt right a bit and since the road [curb] is more pronounce in the photo I think its best as is. JMHO

Thanks everybody for the thoughts.

I do have to admit to some tugging on the edges. The curve to the right is the underside of a footbridge that runs perpendicular to the street. I was slightly to the right of it all (and slightly uphill) to get the steps and the bridge to balance. In post I pulled the right bottom corner down to line the curb with the bottom edge of the photo. I tried it without the curb but thought it needed to be there as an anchor. As far as straightening, about the best reference I could come up with was the vertical posts of the railing.

That was all the first edit.

Taking your advice, I pulled the top left corner up to level the top of the wall in the background. While not entirely true to reality (as if the first version was perfectly true), I do think it balances better for a final image.

Here you go:

IMG_7848b by breckmiller, on Flickr

Although I like the curves, it hurts my eyes to look at it. I think it is too contrasty, and that you have sharpened it too much. I notice some halos around the palm in the upper left corner which distracts. I would prefer the image without the palm tree intruding like that, but that may not be possible.

Still, that's a nice catch of some curves. The curves are very pleasing!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back