Allergic to Vodka?

I just noticed a rash starting on my neck...

I think it might be an allergic reaction...
Earlier this evening I had a few White Russians. Two with Absolut Pears and two with Stoli Blueberi (both were very good). Never had either of these Vodkas before (I don't usually get the flavored kind).

It's kind of freaking me out. I've never had any food allergies before, but I don't know what else this could be.

I put some of the Pear on my right arm, and the Blueberi on the left. If I get a rash on one of my arms at least I'll know what it's from.
The idea of being allergic to vodka kinda sucks though...

Anyone ever experience anything similar?

Anyway, just wondering if any of you had heard of something like this before...
I guess I'll just wait and see if anything happens to one of my arms.

edit
It's not rosacea if that's what you're thinking - I know what that looks like and this is completely different.

I was googling around... Interesting article from CNN:

I get it too.

I think it may be hereditary, as my mum, one of my sisters and several of my cousins get it too. On a side note, I've also read that it's quite common for Asian people to suffer with the same thing.

Over the years I've tried to figure out, by process of elimination, which drinks or brands of drink cause it, but i couldn't find a pattern. At first, i too thought it must be an ingredient in certain drinks which caused it, such as a flavouring or colouring, now I'm off the opinion that it is the alcohol itself, as it was the only common denominator.

I've also noticed that it seems to be worse during the winter months, and seems to stop completely during the summer. Can't figure out why.

i have no idea why it happens, but i think alcohol causes it and it may be hereditary. I also think a large part of it may be psychosomatic, ie. stress or a stressful situation, being overly self conscious, worry, depression, expectation etc.

When it happens to me I usually stop drinking for a bit, maybe get some fresh air or splash my face with some cold water, that seems to sort it out, then I'm ok to start drinking again :)

What kind of rash did you get?

It didn't really look like any of those. It was pretty minor in comparison to them. Maybe if it lasted longer it might have developed into something I could recognize, but I guess that best way to describe it was a general redness of the area. (with a slight warm sensation, but that may have been psychologically induced/imagined)

[...] For example, pear drops (remember them from childhood?) use amyl acetate (nail lacquer remover) as the flavouring. Other flavours use equally horrid chemicals. Fresh fruit extracts are rarely used as they are too variable in quality.

I kinda doubted that they actually used fruit extracts, but that they are basically dumping acetone in it is news to me. :meh:

I get it too.
At least I'm not the only one. ;)

I haven't started my 'experiment' yet, might have to wait till tomorrow...

All I have drank today was the Stoli Blueberi. This is what I look like right now:
(before it was only on my neck)

IMG_6342-resized.jpg

Last edited:
That looks pretty bad. Go to your doctor. Food allergies are nothing to mess around with. I'm allergic to shellfish that only came out about 2 years ago. I had always eaten it no problem. Its just something that developes.

That looks pretty bad. Go to your doctor. Food allergies are nothing to mess around with. I'm allergic to shellfish that only came out about 2 years ago. I had always eaten it no problem. Its just something that developes.

!!!

You know... I had shrimp today, and (less) yesterday. Never had any reaction to it before, but I guess it's something to talk to the doctor about.
I didn't even think it might be a shellfish allergy before...it makes so much sense now...

Next experiment: Blueberi vodka - no shrimp.

Hopefully it's the shrimp, not the vodka...lol.

Last edited:
All I have drank today was the Stoli Blueberi. This is what I look like right now:
(before it was only on my neck)

IMG_6342-resized.jpg

I'd cut out the Blueberry and drink only Grey Goose and see if you still have a reaction.. That should clear things up.. Grey Goose even guarantees that you will not have a hangover because they have no preservatives...

Hey, Hertz-your sig is offensive as hell, as we are dealing with the coldest winter on record for years here in New England... Can you can that political shiit please..... Global warming is just a farce that gullible followers believe... The Earth is actually cooling...

^^ Grits ain't groceries, eggs ain't poultry and Mona Lisa was a man.

Last edited:
This is a clown.

McDonald-Fire-3.jpg

Somehow, in my peanut sized brain, I didn't think you get it anyway. No worries.​

Then why cant you stop drinking that and go to doctor before it becomes more and spread all over the body,,,,,,,

Stop drinking?!?! Are you insane?

I'd cut out the Blueberry and drink only Grey Goose and see if you still have a reaction.. That should clear things up.. Grey Goose even guarantees that you will not have a hangover because they have no preservatives...

I would have liked to get some Grey Goose, or anything 'non-flavored' (I've been drinking "Rain" vodka a lot lately - it's not bad). The selection of non-flavored vodka was very limited (Seagram's was all they had) due to the 50% off sale. A blueberry white russian is surprisingly good (And Hertz - the bottle says it's all natural flavoring, not sure if that's true though...), I'm actually drinking one right now.

I haven't been to the doctor yet, but I think it's safe to say that the reaction was from the shrimp. The only thing I don't understand is why I am just now becoming allergic to shrimp.
Makes me wonder if I'll have this reaction with all shellfish (that would suck), or just shrimp...

i think im alergic to liquor too dude.
it makes me dizzy, and if i drink enough i tend to yak.
it also makes me fall asleep against my will sometimes, and on occasion gives me the urge to make sexy times with womens i normally wouldnt.:D

Maybe this is nature's way of telling you to stop drinking like a girl? :D

Most reactions

Back