Alternative to the Flashpoint 320m?

Braineack

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been eyeing these for a while as a good intro monolight. I wanted to buy two of the 24x36 softbox kits.

They been out of stock forever and I'm tired of waiting. Anything else compare to a good solid 150-300watt beginner monolight setup?

Is the Flashpoint Budget Studio line the new M line? I can't find much information, but it seems the BF-300W might be a good alternative.

The flashpoint line are actually made by Mettle. You can buy the Mettle branded version on Amazon.

The flashpoint line are actually made by Mettle. You can buy the Mettle branded version on Amazon.

Which is sold by cowboy studio as well ? They get around

Really I'm just looking for two lights in the 100-200 range that I can put two large softboxes on and other modifiers like a beauty dish and grids.

Well. You can go to B&H, head to the studio lighting section and put in the maximum you're willing to spend per light and see what comes up. ;) You'll find lights from Impact, Interfit, Westcott and Photogenic in the 0-$200 range.

I would go with the Impact kit which is only $20 more, and has a 7 inch grid reflector, and a good price on the 4-grid set. Impact Digital Monolight 160W/s (120VAC) VSD-160 B&H Photo Video

You get the 160 Watt-second monolight, and an 8 foot air-cushioned light stand, and an Impact transluscent 43 innch umbrella for $179.95.

Try B&H's interfit monolights. They have the S (Bowens) mount and B&H has always stood behind anything I've ever bought from them.

Be sure to get ones with a fan.

Interfit Stellar X Monolight - 150 Watt/Seconds (120VAC) INT415

Edit: Derrel got in while I was making sure that I still knew what I was talking about. :)

Either brand name is about the same and if they look the same then they probably have the same insides.

I would spend up and get one with a fan though, Having one inside a softbox makes for some hot electronics and hot electronics don't tend to last very long.

Last edited:
Sorry, though a fan is still, imo, highly needful. I tend to use the Wescott apollos and those have the monolight go inside. A standard softbox of course uses a speedring and thus the light goes outside.

I really like my Apollos though. ;)

I think the Interfit stellar X is one small step up from the Impact model...and it too is 7-14 days' worthy out of stock...the Interfit uses the S-type reflector mount, which is nice, and has a fan, and weighs about a pound and a half more, coming in at almost five pounds. The Interfit uses a higher wattage modeling lamp, a 150 Watt, and I think it's quartz, so it's gonna be HOT. The Impact uses a lower Wattage, 60 Watt incandescent style modeling lamp, and has no fan, which in my book might make it maybe a bit more-efficient for use on a sine wave inverter/battery.

The choice of convection-cooled versus fan-cooled is usually something the flash manufacturer considers pretty carefully; if a system uses a 250 Watt quart halogen modeling lamp, it will virtually ALWAYS have a cooling fan; I have flash heads that use 150 Watt and 100 Watt quartz lamps and are convection cooled; as far as the level of flash power being discharged, at 150 to 160 Watt-seconds, the manufacturers for the most part seem to go with convection cooling, since the flashtube isn't generating all "that" much heat.

I think the Interfit is like I said, a step "up" from the 320M or the Impact, priced at double the 320M for the monolight only.

I would go with the Impact kit which is only $20 more, and has a 7 inch grid reflector, and a good price on the 4-grid set. Impact Digital Monolight 160W/s (120VAC) VSD-160 B&H Photo Video

You get the 160 Watt-second monolight, and an 8 foot air-cushioned light stand, and an Impact transluscent 43 innch umbrella for $179.95.

Not bad. I was looking at the Neewer DS300 as an alternative. Here's a good review: 13th Floor Photography: Godox DE300 / Neewer DS300 Monolight Review

Getting: (2) DS300 strobes, (2) Stands, (2) 30x47" Softboxes, (1) beauty dish, and (1) boom stand = ~$600
Getting: (2) Impact strobes w/stands & umbrellas, (2) 30x47" Softboxes, (1) beauty dish, and (1) boom stand = ~$530

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The Neewer monos seem to have a built-in wireless triggering system for $135...seems reasonable. GOOD DEAL on the beauty dish with grid and diffuser sock. Always nice to have a boom stand or two around as well.

If you can spare a bit of extra coin I'd opt for some C stands. You can get some Impact branded ones for just over $100 each. Granted it will add about $70 to the total, but it's worth it. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back