Amateur Photojournalist.. Lenses and Light

benstewart

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I believe this is my first post!

I will begin "Advanced Photojournalism" next semester - in roughly ten days.

I currently have a Canon Digital Rebel XT, a Tamron 28-300, and a 580EX speedlight -once it gets back from repair! I also have a smaller, slightly less capable flash that I am going to use anyway, simply because I need it.

I also have the problem of not really knowing where or when I will be shooting. My college does not have the best lighting in many of it's rooms and I will have to take sports photos and portraits during the course.

I have tested, albeit possibly unnecessary, a Tamron 17-85 f/2.8 lens and successfully spoiled myself with a Canon 17-85 IS.

Do you think a low fixed aperture or image stabilization are necessart to get great pictures indoors? The optical quality, of course, also needs to be good.

What does everyone recommend? Feel free to recommend anything BUT an L lens - including the kit lens, whatever YOU think works.

*Cough*Imnotinfavorofafixedlens*Cough* man that was a long breath.

I will seriously consider a fixed lens .. any other suggestions though?

By the way, much thanks for your quick replies :D

If you want a high quality lens that will perform well in low light, and you are not willing to spend on L glass (in that case I would recommend the 24-70 f/2.8 L), then the 50mm is your best bet. You might try a 35mm f/2, which will more approximate the field of view of a 50mm lens full frame.

If you don't want a fixed (prime) lens...then I suggest you get something like the EF-S 18-55 F2.8 IS or the 24-70 F2.8 L....either one will cost you well over $1000.

Is that too expensive? Then I suggest the *cough* 50mm f/1.8 *cough* ;)

Notice a trend? A lot of photography, including photo journalism really benefits from fast lenses (big maximum aperture).

Indeed Mike.

I have read several photojournalist blogs and many mention that half the task is being in the right place in the right time, then having a fast enough lens to capture the moment regardless of available light.

Things I like about a fixed lens:
1) Makes me think about where I have to be.
2) I tried one. LIGHT.
3) I don't have to worry about the aperture at low light.

Lastly, instead of spending 500+, the 50mm looks to be around 100 bucks or so!

Thanks again, any more suggestions are welcome.

Reasons we all like to recommend the 50mm F1.8...

1) Makes you think about where you have to be.
2) LIGHT.
3) You have more options with the aperture at low light.
4) the 50mm is $70 US at B&H

I think that it's more common for pro photo journalists to use zoom lenses these days...but they use pro lenses that are fast and designed to take a beating...and they are expensive. If you do look for a zoom...get one with a constant max aperture of F2.8. There are some good ones from Sigma and Tamron that are cheaper than the Canon lenses.

I am reading reviews for the 50mm right now and I am greatly impressed.

It's not an expensive lens, so if I don't like it, too bad :D

I'll jump into the arena of f/2.8 zooms when I'm not a full-time college student with a full-time job.

My favorite thing about lenses so far...when you buy them and you take care
of them, theoretically, you are only renting them because you can get almost
every dollar back when you decide to sell it.

:)

The Tamron 28-75 is always highly reviewed and would meet your needs. While half the price of the Canon equivalent, it's still probably a lot of money for a college student.

http://www.adorama.com/TM2875EOS.html

Here is a review: http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=187&sort=7&cat=43&page=1
Hey I wouldn't put it past students to have high quality gear when I was in school a few people had (and this will date me) the top of the line Nikon F-4 and when I worked at Ritz someone I knew who was an student had daddy buy her a Hasselblad H2.

I work at Ritz, but at the moment, most of my coworkers carry PnS digital cameras.

Of course, most of them are also a little younger than I and are not pursuing degrees in photography.

The only problem with that lens is that the fov might be a little tight for pj work on that camera. Don't get me wrong, I use the 50mm/f1.4 and 85mm/f1.8 on a 10D for everything I do, but pj work often requires more of the environment than I tend to include. It's more, but I would lean towards the 35/2.0 previously mentioned. (That's next on my list.)

Oh, AND the 50/1.8. Hey, it's cheap.

Hi again all,

Ok. So I just found out an hour ago that I have an internship at a local newspaper. Fantastic. The pictures they print are not very large, but I know that based on reading the paper (I used to deliver it!), they take mostly people shots.

Does this change anyone's recommendations?

Most reactions

Back