Amethyst and Aura Quartz

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took this when I was playing around with the shallow depth of field chalange. It doesn’t qualify for that thread, but I liked the shot.

Two of my favorite crystals, in this one. They remind me of grape and sour apple candy.

I used a big white board for the background and bounced flash against the wall.

Attachments

• D323D9D7-BFF5-4A88-A776-840F763C3F25.jpeg
    D323D9D7-BFF5-4A88-A776-840F763C3F25.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 145
Nice lighting, though as you've shot almost two sides on show of both rocks and yet lit from one side more so the shot appears like the dominant side (left) is underlit compared to the non-leading side (right). So I'd say you'd almost want to swap the lighting over - even then you might find that less of a stark contrast between the two would help (some difference is good as it gives some contrast to the shot and a more natural appearance since we often see subjects with a single dominant light source).

Took this when I was playing around with the shallow depth of field chalange. It doesn’t qualify for that thread, but I liked the shot.

Two of my favorite crystals, in this one. They remind me of grape and sour apple candy.

So cool. I like the reflections on the white surface and more so the one on the green crystal.

Nice lighting, though as you've shot almost two sides on show of both rocks and yet lit from one side more so the shot appears like the dominant side (left) is underlit compared to the non-leading side (right). So I'd say you'd almost want to swap the lighting over - even then you might find that less of a stark contrast between the two would help (some difference is good as it gives some contrast to the shot and a more natural appearance since we often see subjects with a single dominant light source).
Thanks for the idea! There was a window that may have given some fill. I can’t remember it’s position for this shot specifically.

My goal with the light was to bring out the rainbow reflections on the aura quartz- which needs a very specific angle. And those two stones actually fit together like a puzzle so I can’t swap them and have them fit together nicely, if that makes sense.

But maybe I’ll give your idea a go later if I have some spare time. Thank you!

So cool. I like the reflections on the white surface and more so the one on the green crystal.
Thank you! I was trying to get even more of the reflection in the base, but I wasn’t using a seamless backdrop, and the silver edges of the white board were cutting into the frame.

You might even get away with it by just brightening the shadows in the shot or adjusting curves to do likewise. It's only that shaded area that needs boosting up so if the shot is otherwise clean you could well just achieve the result in editing- though of course with lighting at the time is always best and always interesting to play around with when you've such a reflective subject that forces you to use good lighting position to get the proper effect.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back