An actual set

Thomas V

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A previous post delt with the Kodak DCS 760, one of my good tools, but another I own that's related is the Olympus E-1. I say related because the Olympus uses a Kodak manufactured CCD. A predominate reason for me to grab an Olympus. There were other factors though. My E-1 reminds me of the OM-1 that started me on the photographic journey that I'm still on today so that link has a cool factor to it. The smaller and lightweight body makes it a pleasure to carry. The ergonomics really worked well for me because my left was always busy on the lens. I realize that 5 MP is on the low side in today's standards, but I think that forces me to frame correctly.

Attachments

• olympus_e1_2.jpg
    olympus_e1_2.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1
Maybe there's a certain je ne sais quoi about obsolete digital cameras that escapes me but I don't sense a trend in the wings. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Maybe there's a certain je ne sais quoi about obsolete digital cameras that escapes me but I don't sense a trend in the wings. Enjoy!
I consider photography as an art form therefor trends have little to do with it. Having a new, trendy camera doesn't guarantee great photos.....simply, experience does.

Having a new, trendy camera doesn't guarantee great photos...

But it can up the odds, "experience" notwithstanding. Have fun.

I started in film in the 60s. Currently have a Canon EF1, a Pentax ZX-1, and a recently acquired Yashica LM (restoring). I'll admit there's a certain nostalgia that draws me back to film, but the realities of today's world puts a damper on the experience. Back then film, developing was cheap, if you didn't have your own darkroom and in a hurry drive up 1 Hour Photo places were everywhere. Now you're pretty much limited to mail in, where you wait days, and pay $$. I've got a partial roll of Illford in the Pentax, that's been there for a couple years, and several more in the refrigerator.

I will also admit that I've become somewhat lazy in my shooting. Film forces you to slow down and be more deliberate in your exposure and composition. With digital it doesn't matter if you bracket a half dozen shots to get the right one.

Now after saying all this, the right side of my brain still wants to shoot film, but the left side says no! 🙁

I still love shooting film, luckily I still have same day processing (pickup and return to your door!) and it’s very cheap whilst good quality - I will continue to make good use of that situation while it lasts. I also enjoy developing myself, just the basic Patterson bucket/kitchen sink kind, no dark room.
I enjoy shooting film much more, maybe it’s just me but that deliberation on composition and the joy/fear of finally seeing your results is something I would miss. Not messing with animal recognition, electronic or mechanical shutter, focus range and a million other menu, button settings helps.
To the OP some interesting old kit you have there, the modified F5 with the welded on Kodak digital sensor must be very rare now I imagine.
Look forward to seeing some shots from these.

Just a little OT? The OP on about a relic, not film.

Oops...then carry on, apparently the front part of the brain wasn't operating at all when I read the post. :chuncky:

I do have a couple of relic digital camera bodies relegated to the closet, no idea why I keep them. One of the down sides to Pentax's forward/backward lens compatibility is old digital bodies don't have much value, but the glass lasts forever.

Oops...then carry on, apparently the front part of the brain wasn't operating at all when I read the post. :chuncky:

I do have a couple of relic digital camera bodies relegated to the closet, no idea why I keep them. One of the down sides to Pentax's forward/backward lens compatibility is old digital bodies don't have much value, but the glass lasts forever.
I shoot a pair of Fuji X-T1 bodies, rolled out in 2014. Relics? Gettin' there but still much-loved judging from online praise. Love the form factor and all them top-deck dials!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back