Antarctica - King Penguins

Antarctican

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are some scans of photographs I took when I was in Antarctica several years ago. I apologize for the truly terrible quality of the scans...the original photographs look much better, but since it's a part of the world that not many of you have visited, I thought I'd share them anyway.

A king penguin chick, still sporting its downy feathers, walks past a flock of adults.
chickjt5.jpg

Closeup of an adult king penguin
pengheadtw7.jpg

Small flock of king penguins at Grytviken, South Georgia. In the background is a long-abandoned whaling station where many thousands of whales were slaughtered.
grytvikenss7.jpg

A much larger flock at Salisbury Plain (like, 200,000 of 'em. Imagine the sound and smell of that many penguins!)
salisburygr4.jpg

Standing tall

standtallqa8.jpg

This trio of penguins was engaged in a 'slap fight', which was pretty darn funny to see. They stood chest to chest and started whaling on each other with their flippers. We don't know why, but it was a behaviour we saw several times.
pengsvt5.jpg

the links dont work! NOOOOOOOOOO i love penguins soooo much PLEASE fix please please

(Sorry about that....the pictures were showing in preview, but went to links when I posted. Should be fixed now)

i dont know if i love you for posting the pictures or hate you for being near penguins when im not :'(

These are great. Good timimng for me too- I just watched a documentary on the area a couple hours ago.

Wow, good for you for going and good for you for posting.

Next time you go give me a call if you want some company.

Gary

Really nice series. Bet the prints are great!
You should submit these to publications.

sorry to have to say this but I make it 195,385 in the Salisbury Plain shot

last shot is my fave, reminds of the Andy Rouse shot that was on the cover of the BBC's Wildlife magazine

wonderful photos of what must have been a wonderful trip
love the birdies (no bbq comments i promise) and the whaling station

great shots, anty, love them all, i bet those originals are outstanding... :thumbup:

Thanks everyone for your comments (several of which had me laughing out loud).

Anty, this is a great thread. It is very impressive to see this creatures in their natural setting. Thanks so much for sharing something that most of us will never see for ourselves, just like you said.

Wow! Just look at all of those beautiful penguins! Wonderful series, of what I bet was an amazing trip!

:thumbup: :thumbup: Very cool stuff Anty. Funny cause I just saw Happy Feet for the first time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back