Anyone develop using Cinestill's CS6 kit?

hooray4mo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A few weeks ago I tried developing a roll of Ektachrome in 120 using Cinestill's CS6 slide film kit. I was very disappointed with the results. The film came out extremely dark, the images being barely visible, even with the brightest light behind it.
I watched a couple videos here and there, and one YouTuber was kind enough to comment that maybe it was the "Dynamic" solution that I used, whereas I should've used the daylight solution. The kit already comes with the dynamic solution, but you can buy either the daylight or tungsten solution separate, depending on how you want your results to look like.
Has anyone used this kit and had differing results? I did buy the daylight solution, but have yet to try it. I don't want to waste ektachrome if the results aren't usable.
I have also since bought the Arista Rapid E-6 developing kit but haven't had the chance to use it yet. I'm just a little apprehensive to develop slide film again. I find it incredibly fascinating; that there's color positive film!
I'd just like any feedback or comments from anyone that has used the Cinestill kit to develop slide film.

Find a lab with a dependable E-6 line. E-6 processing for consistent, quality results requires far more precision than you'll ever get at home. Otherwise, you're just blowing money on homebrew kits and expensive film whose potential you're unlikely ever to see.

Find a lab with a dependable E-6 line. E-6 processing for consistent, quality results requires far more precision than you'll ever get at home. Otherwise, you're just blowing money on homebrew kits and expensive film whose potential you're unlikely ever to see.
Hmm, you're probably right. I've been using The Dark Room to process my E-6 in the past. I just figured I'd try to develop my own cuz I'm impatient and also in diy.

A few weeks ago I tried developing a roll of Ektachrome in 120 using Cinestill's CS6 slide film kit. I was very disappointed with the results. The film came out extremely dark, the images being barely visible, even with the brightest light behind it.
I watched a couple videos here and there, and one YouTuber was kind enough to comment that maybe it was the "Dynamic" solution that I used, whereas I should've used the daylight solution. The kit already comes with the dynamic solution, but you can buy either the daylight or tungsten solution separate, depending on how you want your results to look like.
Has anyone used this kit and had differing results? I did buy the daylight solution, but have yet to try it. I don't want to waste ektachrome if the results aren't usable.
I have also since bought the Arista Rapid E-6 developing kit but haven't had the chance to use it yet. I'm just a little apprehensive to develop slide film again. I find it incredibly fascinating; that there's color positive film!
I'd just like any feedback or comments from anyone that has used the Cinestill kit to develop slide film.
I'm probably not of much help here, but Cinestill must be the only E-6 chemistry I haven't used, and the only ones I had any success with was Kodak E-6 and Fujifilm Hunt, both discontinued. Each was a snap to use, couldn't tell the difference from lab processing. I'm thinking of trying Cinestill and if no luck I'll just send my Velvia to Dwaynes. I've used Velvia since 1984 - sharper than Kodachrome and doesn't get lost in the mail when I process it myself.
Till now I'd never heard of daylight and tungsten chemistry - I have some frozen Kodak and Fujifilm Type B film, both use the same E-6 chemistry as daylight-balanced film.

I have run several pro-lab E-6 machines in my time so I am no help at DIY. If I want slides I send my E-6 to Dwayne's.

Cinestill is garbage chemistry, but its shortcomings can be corrected for during scanning. It's a real pain in the butt. I miss the old C-41 and E-6 days. I once worked for a chemist who mixed his own E-6 first developer from scratch. He used a special acid to alter the PH to increase the tonality. He taught me a ton of stuff you can't find in any books.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back