Anyone have personal experience with aftermarket Cokin ND filters?

PaulWog

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm specifically looking at a set like this: Amazon.com : Complete ND Neutral Density Filter Set Compatible with Cokin P Series - Includes: Graduated ND2 ND4 ND8 + Full ND2 ND4 ND8 Filters + 6 Pocket Filter Wallet Case + Square Filter Holder + Square Lens Hood + Complete Adapter Ring Set + Magi

There's a Canadian version that ships to my location for $17 + an additional $17 s&H. It's already worth it alone for the rings, filter holder, and carrying case (assuming I stick to using Cokin filters).

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Cokin P Series filters that are supplied by Digital Goja. Some reviews state that the optical quality is good, whereas a few reviews state that the product is no good. The negative reviews I have read seem very general, and don't explicitly state how the filters have done with the reviewer's photography (rather, they review how the filter feels, and reference how they believe it theoretically might behave as if they haven't shot with it).

I realize it's a budget kit, but I'm specifically curious if anyone has purchased any filters from Digital Goja for a Cokin set.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have several Cokin filters bought individually during my film days...a lifetime ago and they are good depending on your needs. I don't have any experience with buying from someone else apart from Amazon before either until I found B&H and Adorama. I dropped Amazon because I like B&H better -- they know what they are talking about. Good quick service too. They are not perfect by any means either. I'd be interested to know the answer to your question too.

The thing you'll have to most worry about (assuming that the glass doesn't give you distortion) is getting a color cast.

If you can already think of ways to fix that in post you should be OK with them.

If not you'll probably be writing bad reviews as well. ;)

The key phrases there are: "Compatible with Cokin P Series" and "$34.99". Given that genuine Cokin filters, which are the bottom of the barrel gel filters cost between $35 and 50 per filter, and Lee and Singh Ray cost three times that, it should be a clue. Cokin filters can produce a fairly strong magenta colour cast when shooting toward the sun, I would expect that these would be virtually unusable in those conditions. Save a few more dollars and get Cokin brand at a minimum.

I'm of the opinion that this set is worth the low cost, if only for the rings and holders. Filters are one of the most marked-up good in the filter industry. As far as high-priced filters like Lee...one of the reason they are so high-priced is markup. Look at this glorified pole building and watch how Lee makes its filters--it just might change the way you think of Lee filters when you see this half-assed method of production. Color casts? If you can even SEE any cast, then set a custom white balance before using these.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some coken startlight filters and they are great.

But i use singhray for my ND's and Pro Master HGX for my circular polarizers.

Just received the Cokin P-series ND filter set that I linked in my first post ($34 set with s&h included to Canada). Everything except for the ND8 grad filter came in great condition (the ND8 grad filter will hopefully get replaced by the seller since the ND effect is lopsided at the point that I would center it on the horizon/whatever).

I've got to say, the quality is excellent. Sharpness doesn't seem to suffer, nor does color. The main thing I'll have to look at when it comes around to it is flare. Otherwise, I'm really glad I went with the cheap set for now. It might last me a while if all goes well with my first real field-test at the beach.

I have a Cokin grad ND. It's a fine low-cost filter but you have to keep a few things in mind.

(a) it doesn't have anti-reflectie coatings... meaning you can get ghosting. You can get ghosting and flare. You can get ghosting and flare with any filter (I always try to shield my filters) but it's much easier to get ghosting if you don't have anti-reflective coatings.

(b) and this hasn't been my own personal observation but I talked to another photographer who's comment was "they're hard to keep clean". I asked him what he meant. He felt as though whatever type of resin they use to make these, they seem to love static cling -- they're dust magnets.

One of these days (I keep meaning to do this but my life's been a bit busy lately) I'll do a video to show the difference between a high quality filter and a marginal filter. I usually buy B+W brand filters, but just happen to have a Tiffen UV filter. If you put the Tiffen and B+W filters side by side and shine a light on them (to view the reflection of the light), the B+W barely reflects much of anything (it does... but it's a very weak reflection) and yet right next to it, the Tiffen filter has a very strong and distinct reflection. I tested both the front face and back face (in case only one face had anti-reflective coatings). It's those reflections which cut light transmission and increase the probability of ghosting and other undesirable effects that filters can create.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back