Anyone here have experience with photomicrography?

I'd like to thank everyone for their responses and offers to help. I'm feeling good about settling in on this forum. :)

After talking with the director of our lab, I've decided to put this idea on the back burner. He explained that we have several scopes equipped for taking photos, and questioned why I would bother. He said the images wouldn't be as interesting as those taken through something he access to at another hospital he teaches at. While he didn't call it an electron scanning microscope, I think they're pretty much the same thing.
He also explained we're moving away from having people look through a microscope, in favor of 'scanning' slides that will display the image on a monitor. The images can then be sent to various hospitals and state/federal agencies for additional information.

For now, I think I'll just focus on learning how to take nice macro shots.
Thanks again. :)

I find that what helps me immeasurably is to view and shoot through my tablet interface because it's just so much easier to manipulate both the microscope controls and the camera controls, while seeing exactly how you're affecting things in real time clearly on the tablet screen.

So, the camera is on the microscope, using the adapter like Runnah posted a link to. The tablet is connected to the camera USB port, and is running software for both viewing at a 10" screen size in live view whatever the camera sees, and controlling the camera's functions through the tablet interface. I can then get a precise focus, ISO, shutter speed, aperture, and so forth, adjust the microscope and slide any way I like, then shoot straight from the tablet.

This will work fine with a smartphone too, but the bigger screen of the 10" tablet is really nice to work with.

Here are a couple of shots:

Dog taste buds:
Dog_Taste_Buds-1128.jpg

Cross section of morning glory root:
Ipomoea_Root-1129.jpg

My blood in these next two:
Buck_Blood_6796.jpg

Buck_Blood_6794.jpg

Nice pics!!

Nice pics!!
Thank you kindly.

When asked, "why bother", I'd have had to ask if he has any hobbies and, if so, why does he bother with them?

Me: "Do you have any hobbies?"
Him: "Yep, I whittle tiny kittens out of barn wood."
Me: "Why bother?"
Him: "Ummm..."

Nice pics!!
Thank you kindly.

When asked, "why bother", I'd have had to ask if he has any hobbies and, if so, why does he bother with them?

I think it was because he finds the images from electron scanning scopes more visually appealing.
Keep in mind that he's been in this line of work for several years. I'm sure images through a regular scope become a bit boring. ;)

If the microscopes have the ability to use either phase contrast or darkfield, you can have some very beautiful images. Transmitted light (bright-field) is kinda boring unless you have samples that are properly stained. On the other hand, I've shot live algae and various soil critters using one of the other two methods, and they allow a visually-stunning presentation. I'll have to find these among the slides (stored away as this was almost 40 years ago), and perhaps once I find them I'll scan the slides and show what I did (back then).

Nice pics!!
Thank you kindly.

I think it was because he finds the images from electron scanning scopes more visually appealing.
Keep in mind that he's been in this line of work for several years. I'm sure images through a regular scope become a bit boring. ;)
I guess the question is: Were you planning to do this for him / the company you work for, OR were you planning to do this for yourself?

Shooting photos is something we do for clients, sure. But it's also something we often do just for ourselves. When I get in the mood to shoot photos through a microscope, I pull out the stuff to do it, and have some fun. I don't do it because Dr. Forensic will be impressed with what I shoot. I do it because it's fun and interesting to me, and that's enough.

So, if your intent was work related, then he probably has a point. But if it was for your own interests, edification, fun, etc., then I think he missed the point entirely, and you may have given up too soon.

I "bothered" to make this just because I like doing it, which is all the reason I need:

Science_Motivational_Research_2930.jpg

If you need inspiration in terms of purely visual beauty of microphotography, you can always look at the kind of stuff being submitted for various competitions. For example, this one is from Nikon: 2014 Photomicrography Competition Nikon Small World

There are plenty others. When I retire and have a bit more time, I'm getting back into this area as there's ALWAYS something amazing and mersmerizing available to look at, whether it's from the outside, or is hiding in your fridge.

Nice pics!!
Thank you kindly.

I guess the question is: Were you planning to do this for him / the company you work for, OR were you planning to do this for yourself?

Shooting photos is something we do for clients, sure. But it's also something we often do just for ourselves. When I get in the mood to shoot photos through a microscope, I pull out the stuff to do it, and have some fun. I don't do it because Dr. Forensic will be impressed with what I shoot. I do it because it's fun and interesting to me, and that's enough.

So, if your intent was work related, then he probably has a point. But if it was for your own interests, edification, fun, etc., then I think he missed the point entirely, and you may have given up too soon.

I "bothered" to make this just because I like doing it, which is all the reason I need:

Science_Motivational_Research_2930.jpg
I initially wanted to do it for a friend who oversees our infection prevention dept.. She's tasked with educating everyone (including nurses and doctors) on how to protect themselves (and patients) from spreading various illnesses.

Now that I know these photos are readily available, I'll focus on other areas of the hobby.

Most reactions

Back