Anyone out there know stuff about cars?

summers_enemy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tinas.photography.fotopic.net
Just been washing my car, and I noticed a spot in the paint that has a bunch of cracks in it.:x Honestly, going off the history of this car I am sure it's a manufacturing problem, wouldn't surprise me at all coming from a car that's suspension nearly fell off.

But, before I start having fun with VW's warranty people again I'd like to know, anyone ever seen this kind of damage on a car before? What usually causes it? Is there any way I could be at fault? Will it spread? :shock:

Car is an '04 New Beetle, purchased new. Worst decision I ever made.

Thanks for any suggestions you guys may have.
smile.gif

damage2.jpg

It could be a couple of things but I would take it to someone who paints cars and get an informed answer.

what part of the car is it on? Was any pressure applied to it? Kinda looks like a spider web, which indicates a pressure point on the car. these can be created by hitting something to just leaning on the car

It is on the rear portion of the car. Just below the trunk and a little to the right. Let me see if I can find a Beetle diagram. :scratch:

There was some damage done (mystery damage) to the car not far from that spot, but it was done last June. Surely this would've appeared at the same time?

it may well be that they mystery damage bent the panel slightly causing the paint to strech and the coating to crack ever so slightly, what you're seeing could be the result of weathering on cracked coating very easily...

Then again, most car dealerships don't know much about cars mechanically so even if it is due to the mystery damage it's worth taking it back, the worst they can say is no. ;)

Paint is definitely stretched, judging by where it is on your drawing i'd say someone has reversed into the back of the car causing the rear bar to compress then pop back out into shape - this will make the paint 'flex' and crack because it doesn't have the same elasticity as the plastic underneath.

Might want to take that to a panel beater for a 2nd opinion but all the signs (to me, anyways) point to a soft rear-ender.

the reason why???

because of sun exposure..too much exposure from the sun without covering the body of your car will result of what the picture of your car paint showing..

Xmetal said:
Paint is definitely stretched, judging by where it is on your drawing i'd say someone has reversed into the back of the car causing the rear bar to compress then pop back out into shape - this will make the paint 'flex' and crack because it doesn't have the same elasticity as the plastic underneath.

Might want to take that to a panel beater for a 2nd opinion but all the signs (to me, anyways) point to a soft rear-ender.

yup, that would be my guess, somone bumped you in a parking lot. my freind did that to me and put a huge dent in the door of my first car, his bumper did the same thing yours did.

Yeah, I have to agree with the above - it's probably too new to have paint crazing due to UV damage, most likely it's an impact thing.

Find a trustworthy spray-shop (can be tricky!) and have it resprayed before it goes more manky.

Rob

You know, for the amount of damage that's occurred to my cars over the years at work parking lots, I really should be able to get a tax break or something. :p

I am definitely glad to hear that you guys don't think it's a defect. I really, really despise going into VW.:meh:

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. You've set my mind at ease! :)

summers_enemy said:
You know, for the amount of damage that's occurred to my cars over the years at work parking lots, I really should be able to get a tax break or something. :p

I am definitely glad to hear that you guys don't think it's a defect. I really, really despise going into VW.:meh:

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. You've set my mind at ease! :)
if it's still under warrenty, there's nothing stopping you from taking it in as a defect. Back when we bought our last car, they told us the warrenty covered everything...if we spilled coke on the carpets, they'd replace the carpets etc. Might as well give it a try; free is better than not free.

Xmetal said:

My opinion too! :thumbup:

You can see it a lot in the UK when the young lads try to colour code the bumpers of their 1.1l fiestas without using a bonding primer! :lol:

PlasticSpanner said:
You can see it a lot in the UK when the young lads try to colour code the bumpers of their 1.1l fiestas without using a bonding primer! :lol:

Same deal here, see a few young guys colour-coding bump-strips and the paint flakes after about 3 months because they don't prime the strips first.

The other favorite over here is chrome door handles: chips and flakes after lots of 'traffic'. :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back