Anyone want to play with my bird ??

ottor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Walked out in the backyard with the 450D and a 75-300 Non-IS canon "Kit" lens.... in a flash, I noticed a beautiful hawk in my Blue Spruce, trying his best to get some of my Finches that hang around the birdfeeders.... Slapped it into "Automatic Mode" (didnt' want to take time to change setttings) and he took off immediately... Got him in flight, but this is a perfect excuse to explore the option of getting the Sigma 120-400 f/4.5 OS version.. :D

Anyway - I'd be interested to see what you can do with this photo.. Crop, adjust, and see how good you can make a margnal photograph.. Post your results... and - have fun..

BTW, any idea what kind of hawk this is? - I live in a suburb area and have never seen one in our backyard before...... I guess with about 1000 finches and 9 birdfeeders, I'm just providing them with a buffet that Vegas couldn't compete with...

5317496144_10daf30aa1_b.jpg

Anyway - I'd be interested to see what you can do with this photo.. Crop, adjust, and see how good you can make a margnal photograph.. Post your results... and - have fun..

Me personally, I would be glad that I got a shot to document it and if you didn't know the ID, I would try for an ID. Other than that, I would file it away and wait for a better opportunity to photograph it (if you can). The fence and the wall kind of kill it for me.

Nice capture though. Do you know what it is? I'm VERY bad with ID'ing birds and especially raptors...LOL!

Here is a quick edit. :) Bumped up the contrast a tiny bit. Removed a little noise. And a simulated bi-colour filter. Vignette added. And the black borders top & bottom. And obvious crop.
4jw5ys.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, so I had some fun with it and not knowing the true colors, they are probably off some but what the hay!

Hawkedit010211.jpg

BTW - thank you for letting me play with your bird... :lmao:

Great edits guys..... Found out it's a Coopers Hawk... mainly eats songbirds.. evidenced by the 4 piles of feathers/bones by my Spruce tree..

I'm an animal lover and hate to see this, but.... after taking a deep breath, I'd hate to see such a beautiful bird starve either.. so - I'm OK with it.. I'll keep feeding the Finches, chickadees, Grossbeaks, Woodpeckers, Robins and Doves - and hope the hawk leaves some for me to watch and feed... :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back