AP Chooses Sony for Video and Still Cameras

VidThreeNorth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I read this article at the beginning of the day, and this is many hours later. I was hoping to do a bit of research about this beyond this announcement, but I did not get around to it.

What still cameras were AP using before? I am guessing Nikon, but that is all it is -- a guess. If anyone knows, some of us might appreciate hearing from you.

What video equipment was AP using before? I have no idea. Maybe they were already using Sony. Sony has long been big in the TV video industry. But there were others, so again, I don't know.
[2020-07-24 10:07 In the interview it is said that AP is switching their video gear, but again, the previous state is not really clear. I corrected a typo in the title at the same time as this clarification.]

"The Associated Press partners with Sony to exclusively provide its visual journalists with Sony camera gear"
Posted Jul 23, 2020 by Gannon Burgett for DPreview.com
"The Associated Press partners with Sony to exclusively provide its visual journalists with Sony camera gear"

Last edited:
Previous Comparison:

Back in 2017, Max Yuryev and Paul Nelson compared the Sony A9 and the Nikon D5. The latest versions of these cameras are the Sony A9ii and the Nikon D6. The newer cameras are very similar to these, so this comparison is still fairly indicative of the current pair. I have no equivalent test of a Canon, and really, the R5 and R6 might be the cameras to compare, and as of today, they are not even in the stores, so . . . .
[2020-07-25 9:48 clarification]

"A9 vs D5 Real World Comparison - The Sony Shocked us! ",
posted June 5, 2017 by "Max Yuryev", [Length 28:59 LONG!]
""

Last edited:
I took that Eagle Creek Trail with Majeed back in 2012.i was carrying the D3x, which like The D5 is fairly large and fairly heavy.

I have little interest in cameras so far beyond my price range, and I avoid videos longer than 10 min., but I have seen this one a few times. Well, I have seen roughly the first 15 - 20 min. :)

Anyway, the Canon equivalent would be the 1DXiii, and I will link a video later, but the video is not as re-watchable as this one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back