Aperture Rings - gone for good?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Tasmaster, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Tasmaster

Tasmaster TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Well, not yet and not for everyone. But this is where SLR lenses are heading, isn't it?

A lot can be said about aperture rings, but what got me started was a very simple fact: i use Nikon, and most G lenses are plain ugly, especially compared to their D predecessors. I can't say that i see immediate functional disadvantages to losing aperture control on the lens though; in modern DSLRs it is more intuitive and arguably smoother to control exposure with your thumb and composition/focus with your lens rings (i don't include DoF because it is not something that i usually adjust on the fly).

So what's your take on this? Will anyone miss the aperture ring, aesthetically or otherwise? Old cameras aside, is there any special application that absolutely requires it or that benefits hugely from it?

Ps: I decided to save DoF markings and IR focus dot for another thread ;)

2. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Good riddens :)

Much easier/faster using the camera dial in my opinion.

3. Plankton

Plankton TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I disagree, I'm a major fan of using the aperture rings, feels more intuitive to me. Luckily I still get to use them because I shoot Pentax with Old super-takumar lenses :D So I don't mind that modern lenses don't have aperture rings.

cheers

4. dinodan

dinodan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nikkor D-Series. Best of both worlds.

5. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I would prefer the manual aperture ring on the lens ... amd DoF markings.
    I was not too crazy about it when Canon started it on their EOS line.

Not all SLR's have dual control wheels ... so this makes it awkward to control both (one of the reason's I may upgrade my camera).
    ... also with Nikon/Pentax, you cannot use these lenses on camera bodies that do not have electronic control.

6. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, the old timers will say they want the rings, the newer ones will say they could care less.

Me, I am an old timer that says I could not care less. I care about the performance the lens gives me. I find it more convenient to have it in camera for advantages like having the aperture priority mode, and it is EASY to see the changes in camera as I am shooting and I do not need to take my eye away from the eye-piece as I am shooting fast. That said, both lenses with or without aperture control rings, do it for me, so on my digital camera, it really makes ZERO difference.

7. Yes, back in the day everything was better!

:chatty:

Buy a Leica, all those lenses have aperture rings. The R9 SLR with digital back isn't that expensive, but the lenses are a different story.

8. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    when i first got my f100 it drove me crazy as i had spent a life time changing fstops from the lens. I don't remember exactly when it became more comfort, but it did.

Now with my digital equipment and lenses i don't even find myself reaching for the fstop ring.

an old dog can learn new tricks.

9. benhasajeep

benhasajeep TPF Noob!

I don't miss the aperture ring as much as I miss scales.

Apparently photographers don't need those confusing scales on lenses anymore. :er: Heck, I would be even happy if they would just put them in the manuals. But, of course they would have to print another page or two. So, they don't. :er:

10. AlexColeman

AlexColeman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have never used one, except on my 85 1.4, just to lock it to 22, I like the dial and representation in the viewfinder more.

11. bhop

bhop No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I like aperture rings, but I don't seem to miss them when i'm using my D bodies or F100. I think it's because with the ring, you can't do half stops, while the thumbwheel lets you. I do hate it though, if I have to change from one end of the aperture range to the other, it's fast with a ring, slow with the wheel.

However, on my Leica, Electro, or FE, I love aperture rings.

12. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I miss the rings but function fine without them. I do agree about the scale issue, however. I bought my Canon 50 mm f/1.8Mk I for 2 reasons ... 1) It is more solid than the Mk II and 2) It has the scale that was left off the Mk II