Are EF-S or EF lens scratch proof?

vd853

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a 70-200 F4L, and wondering if it's scratch proof? I would really like to take pictures without using filters. The only time I keep the cap off is when I know that I would be taking a shot every 5-10 minutes, but I usually keep the hood on. So scratch proof or not? Will it scratch from being warn out? I'm not planning on knifing it or anything.

No, it's not scratch proof. And an L lens certainly won't scratch itself. That'd just be weird. Just be careful and keep the hood on it at all times.

I guess they should at least be scratch resistant right? like if I accidentally drop my keys directly on the glass.

I don't know the particulars, but I certainly wouldn't count on it. Scratch-proofing would be yet another layer of stuff to put on the front element, and may not refract light correctly.

To be honest, this shouldn't be a major concern as long as you aren't absolutely abusing your gear.

There is no such thing as a scratch-proof lens. ANYTHING will scratch. This is why I advocate spending $100-$150 for a good UV filter. A good filter will not degrade the IQ and protect the front element. I would much rather replace a $100 filter rather than the front element of my lens.

This is not a good place to cheap out, so no $25-$50 UV filters, as they *will* affect your IQ.

Considering that the front element is the cheapest part of a lens to replace, roughly equivalent to the UV filter you'd put on there to "protect" it, I'd much rather reduce the risk of flare and ghosting and just be careful with my glass.

Most lens glass has a coating applied to it, which does help to make it more scratch resistant.

Keep the hood on it. The standard hood for the 70-200 f/4 is very deep and offers a good bit of protection.

Modern lenses are very tough. I wouldn't use one in a sandstorm without a filter. Heck I wouldn't use one at all with a protective filter. But they are quite hard to actually scratch.

Btw as KmH says don't think a protective filter would stop something big and hard shattering your elements. It will however stop other nasties such as salt water or sand getting on your element. Or maybe someone kicks dirt on it, followed by an attempt to wipe it off with a tshirt (common for me). My oldest lens has gone through a scratched protective filter for this very reason.

I dont think ANY lens is scratch proof. The lens hood would probably prevent some things from scratching the lens. but I think just collecting dust on the front element, than brushing it off later would be enough to scratch it. I always have just a UV filter on it just in case.

Considering that the front element is the cheapest part of a lens to replace, roughly equivalent to the UV filter you'd put on there to "protect" it, I'd much rather reduce the risk of flare and ghosting and just be careful with my glass.

I thought that very interesting, and if indeed that was right, I'd love to both save cash and not need to use UV filters, so I called Nikon Mississauga and asked how much it would cost to replace the front element for a 24-70 and a 70-200.

24-70: $425 plus taxes and shipping
70-200: $465 plus taxes and shipping

:confused:

That $150 UV filter looks real good to me about now. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back