Thanks for your time

Attachments

• 4F6DC028-DDF6-4870-8D23-F48C21CBF662.jpeg
    4F6DC028-DDF6-4870-8D23-F48C21CBF662.jpeg
    508.4 KB · Views: 6
  • F956F457-ADFC-4B01-BFAB-DDF961872AC1.jpeg
    F956F457-ADFC-4B01-BFAB-DDF961872AC1.jpeg
    232.7 KB · Views: 7
Exposure on your subject looks good. Hard to tell for sure with small file size. Always when shooting into the sun you’re going to get some glare/flare unless you’re using flash or doing an exposure blend. Personally, as everyone on this site knows 🤣, I like a nice sun flare and think it can add a certain vibe.

Exposure on your subject looks good. Hard to tell for sure with small file size. Always when shooting into the sun you’re going to get some glare/flare unless you’re using flash or doing an exposure blend. Personally, as everyone on this site knows 🤣, I like a nice sun flare and think it can add a certain vibe.
Thank you for your time! :)

I'll second Clints comments. You can't recover blown out data.

Exposure on the subject looks good, but the highlights are blown out in the sky and snow, which is expected in this type of scene. If you shot in raw, you can probably recover some of the highlights and show some texture in the snow. For this type of scene, I typically underexpose by at least a full stop to preserve highlights, which you can selectively keep or lose in post-processing. Ultimately, the subject looks to be correctly exposed, which is the most important part of the photo.

Agreed with PPs, the subject looks fine but the sky and snow highlights are too bright for their own good, haha. Here is a guide on fixing overexposed images that could help, but it's always better to shoot in RAW so that you could fix something later.

Hi like my avatar I am a fossil have you tried “bracketing “ the shot
if you get chance give it a try, then as said shoot in raw if you can it can give you a lot more wiggle room in post processing.... (digital) in my film days I would have held the sky and snow back (dodge)
hope this helps

Looks like you've lost a tonne of contrast there by shooting directly into the sun on a cloudless day. The snow ain't helping the cause either.
Which is what I would have said as well. Nearly impossible to shoot, bright day in the snow, back lighting. Expose for the snow and Sun and the person might just be a silhouette.

The question would be, what part is over exposed and what's exposed properly. There is so much of a difference from the brightest to the darkest, film couldn't have done that and digital has less latitude. Just a very difficult situation.

Not mentioned in the rest, I might have missed it? Fill Flash would be helpful, but more than that? "Shoot with the Sun over your shoulder and the light on the face of the subject." :encouragement:

Most reactions

Back