Around the block-C&C please

pvclobster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been reading through a photography textbook and trying to start thinking a little about composition, since I'm a total beginner. So, I decided to walk around my block and see what I could shoot (not too many people around, so I was stuck with buildings!). Could you give me some feedback on the following pictures? Thanks!
DSC_0026-2.jpg

DSC_0025-2.jpg

3. not sure if the weird angle ruins this-I would lose the lamppost reflection from any other angle
DSC_0021-2.jpg

DSC_0016-2.jpg

DSC_1000-2.jpg

I've been reading through a photography textbook and trying to start thinking a little about composition, since I'm a total beginner. So, I decided to walk around my block and see what I could shoot (not too many people around, so I was stuck with buildings!).
I happen to think shooting architecture is one of the best ways to practice composition. Line, shape, texture -- it's all there and super easy to emphasize.

#1-3 have bad angles. Shoot straight-on, make sure lines are straight and horizons are level, and when you've got a handle on that then experiment with odd angles. It's all or nothing -- you either do it deliberately with strong emphasis or it looks like a mistake.

#1 could have been better if you just shot it straight.

Sadly shooting straight on most of those doors would have meant standing in the middle of the road. I'll have to go find a block with a less busy road!

What White said. But, aside from the angles and some cropping issues, this is a pretty interesting set IMO.

I agree that shooting architecture is great for composition, but I do not agree that is HAS to be straight-on. It can be from any angle and that is what makes it so great.

If you are shooting from an angle, one of the way angle shots work real well, is to take a feature of the building or component such as a door or window and make one line parallel with the frame of the camera.

For instance:
Stand fair close to a tall building (you have to be the judge of what distane works). As you point the camera up at an angle, turn the camera so maybe the roof line is parallel with one of the sides of the camera frame. You can choose to shoot at more than one angle. Try that and you will be pleased (at least I am pleased ;)) with the results.

Not that straight-on does not work, it does, but this will give you some more 'creative angles'

shoot, practice, experiment, shoot, practice, experiment.......

Thanks-that's a helpful way to think about the angles I'm shooting on.

Usually shooting through windows is not appreciated by the residents. #3 Did the guy in the suit say anything to you? From the architecture looks like you live somewhere in the northeast, boston, philly or DC/Baltimore.

It's a window display in a shop that was closed for the night. Thankfully mannequins don't get mad!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back