Aspect Ratio

ShutterSpeed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Teresina, Brazil otherwise known as the End of the
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I think this comes down to personal preference, but how an image is cropped is very important to me. I take pictures with how I might want to crop it in post edit in mind.

Under influence of a pro, i began using 16:9 ratio quite a bit. Being a movie fanatic and a aspiring screenwriter, that ration is very close to what most modern films are cut at. a 16:9 shot gives a feel of a panoramic view and like you're seeing the entire horizon.

Thoughts? What aspect Ratios do you guys use if any? how does it play a role in your editing?

It depends on what I am going to do with the image. Some I want to upload to the web for forums and some I want to print.

The printing is obvious, crop to the ratio of the print.

For web, I like the aspect ratio of a 4x6 print in landscape orientation and I like the ratio of an 8x10 print in portrait orientation. I have a superzoom that shoots in 4:3 ratio. Thus, I crop for the web in these ratios.

I don't have a wide screen TV, I have no way of utilizing it. So, I don't have any thoughts yet on the 16:9 ratio.

I realy don't use any. I try to use the rule of thirds. I have not thought of shooting like that before. I might give it a try.

I use thirds in my cropping. In the future, I'll be posting more and more photos of mine. I think it'll be clear what i'm doing.

My laptop runs at a 16:9 or 16:10 ratio, so it's really helpful for my images.

Here is some work from a friend of mine who I learned the value of the 16:9 ration from.

http://www.zulk.com.br/bike/

I guess it depends on what I shoot but I like the square format. For rectangles, I find the squarer formats such as 4:5 and 3:4 more pleasing than 2:3, particularly in a portrait orientation.

Most reactions

Back