Attempt at commercial photography.

thebutler4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just wanted to get your C&C for this picture. The picture is of my gun and an example of commercial photo you would see in OOO say some magazine.

Again my very first attempt. Also learning Photoshop .. lol

DSC_4_1_1.jpg

Or this one

DSC_4_1_2_1_1.jpg

Last edited:
Ah... uh-huh... I see it, there's your problem... You see, somehow or another a sneaky little b@st@rd of a Ruger has switched places with whatever respectable firearm you usually carry, like a Fabrique Nationale FNP, a Smith and Wesson M&P, a Glock, or a custom/semi-custom 1911.

Yep, there's your problem. ;)

Just a joke from a fellow firearms enthusiast. Doesn't look bad. The photoshop silver background looks a little weird with the black actual photo background, though.

I would also move the vertical white line a little to the left, so it doesn't poke out right at the top of grip.

The photo itself doesn't quite have 'magazine ad' quality sharpness. If you aren't, and I assume you are, you need to be using a tripod and a two or three second shutter delay. Using manual focus may help you get the Ruger engraving on the slide totally in focus.

Ya that white line coming out of the grip bugs me as well .. lol

I did use a tripod but I think I screwed up cause I used a Macro-lens .. I wanted the ammo and clips slightly out of focus (that part worked though) .. I will give it another try using some different glass ... I have to wait till it gets dark though the room I have all this setup is too bright in the day ..

I don't necessarily think the slide needs to be in focus if the gun is the subject. It looks good as it is but I'm no judge of "magazine quality". I think you're on the way.

The change in background does not fit. Those wrinkles in the fabric needs to be removed as well.

let me rephrase.

it looks like half of the background was photoshopped in, and it doesnt blend well

i think a seamless background would be better. it would put all the focus on the product.

I wanted the ammo and clips slightly out of focus (that part worked though) ..

Those are magazines.....and why out of focus? Wouldn't product photography show everything associated with the firearm in focus?

Just asking!

I wanted the ammo and clips slightly out of focus (that part worked though) ..

Those are magazines.....and why out of focus? Wouldn't product photography show everything associated with the firearm in focus?

Just asking!
Yeah i'm with somona here, why are the magazines out of focus? Did you shoot them separately from the gun itself or are they the same shot? If the same shot, you may consider stopping down a little to get a greater depth of field. Usually there is not much use for a shallow DOF in commercial illustration.

I find the background quite distracting... the black portion and the (photoshopped?) white lines that border the black section of the bg are what my eye is consistently drawn to...

I photographed guns for a commercial brochure many years ago, and I found the use of soft, textured backgrounds, like pleated silk or velvet worked very well. I also used little pegs to suspend handguns to get some separation from the bg, and I generally used a small softbox and at least to hard lights to accentuate the forms of the metal and really get a three dimensional image... most of my best shots were from a 3/4 view with the gun pointing toward camera, but 20 to 40 degrees off axis.

Really good product photography makes you want to buy a product, independent of the fact of whether or not you need it... there needs to be some element in your photographs that conveys a sense of emotion... be it lust, security, power, fear, joy.... whatever it is....

When I do product photography, I choose the emotion that I wish to convey and do everything I can to work toward that goal. The actual product is secondary to the initial emotional response from the viewer... get them to feel something, and then tell them that no other product will give them that feeling...

P

Really good product photography makes you want to buy a product, independent of the fact of whether or not you need it... there needs to be some element in your photographs that conveys a sense of emotion... be it lust, security, power, fear, joy.... whatever it is....

When I do product photography, I choose the emotion that I wish to convey and do everything I can to work toward that goal. The actual product is secondary to the initial emotional response from the viewer... get them to feel something, and then tell them that no other product will give them that feeling...

P

Can you post examples of this "emotional" product photography you have done?

Most reactions

Back