Awkward photo-how to position model

TimmyJP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all, I hope this is in the right section, if not feel free to move it!!

A friend has asked me to take a couple of photos of her new tattoo. The tattoo goes from her right knee up her thigh, across her hip and up to her belly button - the problem comes in posing this photograph.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to positioning her so the whole tattoo can be sign, but her lady parts are concealed. She doesn't mind not wearing a bra so her top half is fine, it's the lower half that is the problem!

She wants some full length body shots and some more close-up of her tattoos.

Any suggestions or tips for this shoot?

(These are just some shots that she can put on her wall, so the photos don't need to be incredible quality-hence asking me to do them! But she does want them to be a bit arty)

Thanks a lot,

Tim

I'd say get creative with light and make 'landscapes' with the body and some tight (snooted) light or something like that... arty and can conceal the private parts.

This is kind of hard to picture how the tattoo is, does it go all the way up to the side of her hip before it goes to her belly button, or does it start to turn to the front of her thigh as it goes up? Either way I'm having a hard time as well trying to think of poses. One thing you might try is posing her clothed first so you can get an idea and it's not awkward trying to find the right one.

Thanks for the help so far :)

I'll certainly see what I can do with some lights, and mirrors.

The tattoo starts to come round the front of the thigh, it's kinda half in front half on the side at her hip bone.

Thanks again,

Tim

A beginner could strategically place a towel over the right "parts". An expert would light it in such a way that the tattoo would be properly lit and all else blacked out.

A third option is you could give her the "Eve" look and just have her stratigically place her hand over the right parts. I would be tempted to try all 3 ways and more just to see what I could do, but my preference would be to paint in the areas I wanted exposed via flash.

some sort of cross-legged position? the leg may cast a shadow of those parts if the lighting is correct...

Strategically drape black or dark brown velvet. I find dark brown works the best for me for it gives the skin more of a golden tan look unless she is more pale in nature. I'd then use white fabric.

It's hard to tell if the tattoo starts on the front or the back of the leg but I'd have her sit on her left foot on the edged of a bed or chair and hold her leg straight, but relaxed, down to the floor. I'd see her as then slightly leaning to the left away from you using her arm and hand to brace the position. I'd use the dark material to drape around her as needed and keep the rest of the room dark. I'd use light to strategically highlight the tattoo and then her as needed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back