Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So who's up for another B&W Shootout?

I'll toss out a shot I took last weekend:

D61_2873post.jpg

The .NEF and .JPEG can be found in a .ZIP file here.

The same 'rules' apply!:

1. Post your processing step(s) with your resulting version of the image, including the software used!
2. No other use of the resulting images will be allowed (after all, they won't be your images to start with!) Let's maintain the respect for others work & their rights to it.
3. Please resize your posted results to no more than 1000 pixels along the long edge.
4. No colors allowed in posted results. Monochrome, grayscale, black & white, desaturated.... whatever you want to call it. But NO COLOR. No selective coloring, or tints such as sepia or cyanotype either.

The purpose here is to teach & learn better black and white vision and technique!

Last edited:
why is the sky blue

your messing with me. that isn't bw it just has really ****ty color. am I missing something here?

your messing with me. that isn't bw it just has really ****ty color. am I missing something here?

Yes, it seems so.

The idea is to follow the link, download the files, create your version of a B&W from that image and post it here, along with all the sordid little details of your process.

Wow dude. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Btw, Im on my phone now, but tomorrow when I am on my computer, I will edit this post with mt black and white version.

Last edited:
View attachment 70169

free version of Nikon nx and I messed with the sliders. dropped the contrast and detail. dropped the brite. all significantly. raised the shadow.

Last edited:
Sparky, this one is really cool. Here is my version of it.

Imported to LR4: WB check, dusk spot removal, removed branch, Highlights -100, shadows +21, Whites +48, Blacks +24, Clarity +50, Vibrance +24
Tone Curve adjustment, Lens correction, Camera Landscape
Opened in Nik Viveza 2: Contract 10%, Saturation 6%, Structure 75%, Warmth 5%, Levels & Curves.
Opened in Nik Silver Efex Pro 2: Neutral, highlights -28%, Midtones -15%, Structure 50%, Yellow color filter.
Opened in Nik Color Efex Pro 4: Darken/Lighten Center

$D61_2873-Edit.jpg

I can't believe I'm actually playing - processing in front of a computer is not my favorite thing. But I'm overtired and therefore restless, so I'm giving it a shot.

I converted to greyscale, adjusted shadows/midtones/highlights (brought them all down a bit), darkened a bit then bumped contrast, and then slid the levels just a smidge the left. Oh and I added a slight vignette. The blankness of the sky was bugging me and I wanted some texture to it. It needs to be a moody picture. I'm not convinced that I like the vignette but I'm going to throw it out there anyway.

Here goes nothin'

$B&W shootout house.jpg

Edit: I decided I didn't like the vignette. Here's the conversion without it. Also bumped the brightness a tad bit more.

$B&W shootout house.jpg

Oh and duh, I forgot: I cloned out that twig that was intruding into the frame on the left. It was annoying me.

Last edited:
Original image is not available, but I'll play with what you have here on the forum...

$D61_2873posta.jpg

Was trying for that silver-gelatin kind of look. Removed a few branches from the side and roof line, adjusted the color balance, added some density, then grayscaled it.

Last edited:
can't play... just wanted to say that I really like the photo

subbing so i remember to do this when I'm at home and bored.

Most reactions

Back