Back When

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Killing time today, and did a little exploring at a site not far from me. The First image is from what I believe is a place called Cox Gap Springs, at the foot of Sand Mountain. Notice the stacked rock? This is the largest section of the stacked rock wall that once encircled the spring. It's claim to fame is that it served both the Creek and White men in the early years. Reportedly it's the site where Andrew Jackson camped with his army before entering the Creek Nation on his march to quell the Indian uprising.
IMGP3236.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

Within view of the springs is the old Cox Gap Cemetery most of the old head stones are sort of piled around the stone at the base of the old tree, and are mostly weathered so bad you can't read them. The one in front is obviously a remake of an old one.
IMGP3245.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

I'm not sure of the significance of the larger stones piled up in front of the tree in an other wise flat area, if it's some sort of crypt or what. Also, can't find any information on the significance of the dead tree that has been shored up over the years.
IMGP3247.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

and a B&W conversion just for the heck of it.
IMGP3247-Edit.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

Thanks for sharing these with us, smoke! I love seeing pictures of old things, and historical things as well.

@Derrel Actually quite a bit of history in our valley. Original settlers of the valley were Cherokee on the north of us, Chickasaw to the West, and the Creek where we are, which is why most of the names for streams, and settlements, even the county name are Indian names. Somewhere between the cemetery and the springs is the site of the old post office that I haven't found yet.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back