backpacking throughout Asia - monopod?

cgennoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello!!

I am planning to backpack throughout Asia in the near future. Lanscape photography will be my focus and I am interested in your thoughts on what to bring to make the most of this epic journey.

I am a Canon shooter and the 50 1.4 appears to be one of the best focal lengths for those beautiful low light shots.

The tripod that I have is not something that I feel comfortable lugging around. What do I need to know about a monopod? Such as brands, types and weight advantages, etc. Additionally, do you have an electronic link to helpful information online about how to make the most of shooting with a monopod?

Your feedback is appreciated!!

Colin

I have a canon brand monopod, i find it great for when im hiking, i can use it as a walking pole. Only downside is that it has no quick release plate, not that big of a deal, but it does have a ballhead. You cna find them cheaply, about 30, on Amazon.

You could easily get a bogen or manfrotto tripod with a quick release plate, but with a cost.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Monopod...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1208908045&sr=8-1

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I bought this Manfrotto monopod because I liked that it would collapse down to just over 15" and the price was decent - $32USD. I have used it quite often with long lenses and it has not failed me.

Will you be using walking staffs or sticks during your backpack??
Many will already have a tripod screw at the top. Your staff/stick/cane can double as a monopod. You can even carry a small ball head to attach to the end of your staff/stick/cane to provide a bit more flexibility.

I require a staff or stick while treading on uneven ground (even in a city environment) due to old injury that has left me with rather weak stance. In my search, I found either a walking stick that is a mediocre monopod or a monopod that is a mediocre walking stick. If you do decide to find a dual purpose monopod/walking stick you'll most likely have to make a compromise on one side or another.

With that said.... I found this as a good compromise assuming you are not putting a 600mm telephoto on it:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/124615-REG/Gitzo_G1560_G1560_Monotrek_with_Ball.html

(mine also has a rubber foot fastened to the end to be used while on pavement. Also a bit of tape to keep the foam handle from slipping in humid conditions)

Gitzo and Manfrotto/Bogen brands of monopods usually get very good remarks all over the place. I personally find a quick release plate not really necessary for monopods (a must for tripods though). There are other more affordable options (like the one already posted) that may be just as good.... if you can, try to find a local camera shop so that you can hold and see some options in person.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back