Band promo: Messages Via Carrier Pigeon

guitarmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A couple of shots from a session for a local metal band. Lemme know what you think!

1681793467_d286618fc8_o.jpg

1682691378_c939682c75_o.jpg

I shoot bands, a lot. I have had my work used for promo shots as well as entire 10 surface CD jackets. For a promo shot, the labels want to see faces. And a promo shot should have a little of the performers personality show in the shot, even if it's an act. The first shot is OK, but I don't think it conveys anything about the performer. The second IMO has too much foreground, and lacks the face and personality aspect. Like I said, JMHO. An indy label might use them, but I think a major/minor label would want them re-shot.

No. 1 looks like a garage mechanic and 2 I agree with the above poster, promo shots are supposed to promote the artist/product not obscure them. H

Fair enough. Here's another from the shoot.

1682685416_a3ea4ff84b_o.jpg

Does the name of the band come into play with the grease monkey look you have created? If not, not sure it works for me.

No the band name doesn't come into play. But their sound sort of does. They're a super heavy band. Lots of dirty tones. Generally not the kind of music that's easily received by the general public. So I wanted to show that by taking the opposite of most band shots you see nowadays - guys with 300 dollar jeans, designer shirts and haircuts worth more than my car payments. I see so many band shots that are super clean, it bothers me. So this is what came of that.

You could achieve a similar effect without softening the photo so much that it looks out of focus. Perhaps a Dave Hill type post-processing.

Not a huge fan of the edits. Seems like you pushed the highlights past their limit, and the swirls don't really do it for me. Seems like more of a graphic design decision than a photographic decision, anyway.

I would re-shoot if possible. The guy second from the left just looks too damned goofy.

if its for the band you should really consult them on the type of look they want. i know i've done a few live shoots for my friends band and a few posed shots and they let me know what they wanted, doesn't really matter what others think; they are the paying (or non paying) customer.

cameramike: exactly. The process I take is to listen to their music and find out as much about the band as I can. Then I ask them what kinds of promo photos they like (and to provide links or examples). Then I ask them what they have in mind, if anything. Listening to what they have in mind, I offer a couple of suggestions based on their ideas but with some of my spin on them. Then I shoot and deliver, and all the clients have been happy thus far.

Max: yeah, he looks a little goofy in that shot - agreed. It's not the only shot from the set though, just one that I posted. I won't be reshooting.

I like this one, but there is too much foreground - If you cropped it a little it would work for me. If you have a similar photo to this one, but with a little more light and facial features, I think you'd be onto something. If they are a dark/heavy band, the other photo with the grease is a little too cheesy pop for me, but that is just my oppinion, and it is only because of the smiles...

I do like your ideas though. They are workable.

Most reactions

Back