jeffashman

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Babies have been falling out of the nest, so I moved them to a container to put them out of reach of my puppers. Here is a portrait of one of the two I've rescued so far.

jul14202305 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

And the siblings watching me...
jul14202306 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

That's wonderful, putting them out of harm's way like this.

So, what happens now? Has mom been over to the containers yet?

That's wonderful, putting them out of harm's way like this.

So, what happens now? Has mom been over to the containers yet?
Yes, both parents have been paying attention to them. One keeps hopping out, but can't fly, so I keep putting it back. I'm concerned about the heat, as it is 102F out there now. I put a shade on the container to at least keep them out of the afternoon sun.

We had Barn swallow babies in a nest right outside our front door, every year, at our last house in Georgia. I always freaked out when it got so hot and humid, and the babies literally hung out of the nest and looked half dead. They're so frail looking at this age!

For 7 years, I fretted, and they always did fine. We picked one up during that time and popped him back in, and he stayed. Silly birds. :586:

Can you put it back in the nest?
I've tried putting them back in the nest. They don't stay, but they can't fly either. One of them has abandoned the safe container, so I'm going to let it be, at least until it gets dark. The parents are continuing to take care of them, so that is all I can do right now.

So sweet. You captured their little fur.
They are little fuzz heads. The one that keeps on jumping out got picked up by Nixie tonight when I let her out. No injury, but I had to raise my voice with Nixie to get her to put the poor thing down. I put it back in the temporary home for the night. It will probably jump out again tomorrow, but at least it won't get eaten in the dark.

They are little fuzz heads. The one that keeps on jumping out got picked up by Nixie tonight when I let her out. No injury, but I had to raise my voice with Nixie to get her to put the poor thing down. I put it back in the temporary home for the night. It will probably jump out again tomorrow, but at least it won't get eaten in the dark.
There was a nest in the hanging basket. I planned on moving the basket to outside the fence, but fortunately the little ones flew out. Last year same thing and Oscar got one that couldn't fly yet.

There was a nest in the hanging basket. I planned on moving the basket to outside the fence, but fortunately the little ones flew out. Last year same thing and Oscar got one that couldn't fly yet.
Unfortunately, Nixie got one this afternoon, and when I told her to spit it out, she tried to swallow it. Nixie knows she is in the dog house for that one.

Most reactions

Back