Basics of macro photography

jwenham

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone,

So macro photography isn't something I've done much of, can you get decent results with a Canon Ixus 115 for example? Or is it better to buy a different lens for my Canon 350D? I'd like to start with the standard flowers, coins, insects, etc. Then try some different stuff.

Cheers!

Jacob

Also jewellery would be a good thing to start photographing, any good websites to get good examples from?

Amazing, thanks for your help guys :) So photos like this are easy enough to do at home?

Amazing, thanks for your help guys :) So photos like this are easy enough to do at home?

Macro is used to make something really small fill the frame. Usually depth of field is very shallow. The photos you linked to are close-up, and have good depth of field. If they were done with a dSLR, probably a tilt-shift lens was used, rather than a macro lens.
The review from Designer's post says focus is "3 cm (W) from front of lens in macro" That sounds like close enough focus to me. At the wide end of your lens it is a focal length of 5 mm. Placed 10 cm, or a few inches, from some small stones grouped fairly tightly as in your example, you should get a good photo. Experiment a bit and let us know how it works for you. Somewhere in the set-up there may be a picture of a flower, try that mode if you see it.

Cool, thanks for the advice :) I'll start learning it all now!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back