Been looking all over for Ripple Effect

Discussion in 'Alternative Techniques & Photo Gallery' started by Saeid, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Saeid

Saeid TPF Noob!

Nov 9, 2004
    Ok i read a thread here about 2 days ago, and i've been looking for it all day and couldnt find it. The first post had a picture of flowers with water ripples visible on the entire print.

I was wondering how they achieved that? And so my mind began to wonder... is this how they got achieved it?

- Print you image normally.
    - Place into developer.
    - And take the tray that contains the developer and the print under an enlarger
    - expose light for afew seconds while agitating the tray.

And so you would see water ripples visible on the final print after fixing!
    I was wondering if that technique is true? If so what can i do to get a sharper ripple effect. If not, how can i achieve that effect?
    Thnx in advance! :)

P.s. If someone can post afew images with that effect, it would be greatly appreciated.
    P.s.s. Just that i mention im currently into B&W
  2. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

Nov 8, 2004
    Exposing the print in the developer would only fog it. The ripples on the liquid do not have enough density to print - they would only affect (slightly) how much the RI bends light.
    To get a ripple effect the best way is to photograph ripples, produce a thinish neg and sandwich it with the neg you are printing. You can, I believe, buy textured screens to print through to get the same effect.
    You might be able to do a double exposure with rippled glass....
    Or you scan the neg and use photoshop.
    Personally I think putting a 'texture' on a print is a bit tacky. I have yet to see one that was any good.