Been to the zoo! :)

LizardKing

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello!!

Went to the zoo this saturday, for the first time in the last 15 years or so... can't even remember since I was so little... Anyway, had a lot of fun and decided to make a first try at B&W.
As always, I would appreciate any feedback you might have have about composition, exposure, b/w conversion or anything you can think of... :)

I DO realize I'm uploading more pics than recommended when expecting C&C, but thought it would be fun to make like a set.

Taking a nap by Lizard.King, on Flickr

Well hello there! by Lizard.King, on Flickr

Yummy! by Lizard.King, on Flickr

As Dangerous as I look... by Lizard.King, on Flickr

Who's there? by Lizard.King, on Flickr

More alike than we think by Lizard.King, on Flickr

Like sunshine in your ears! by Lizard.King, on Flickr

Couldn't resist to try selective color in one of them... the oranges were just too beautiful. There's no edition to the colors of the lizard, just a b/w adjustment on the background with a mask.

Who's there? by Lizard.King, on Flickr

Thank you very much in advance and have a nice monday!

Regards,
LizardKing

Last edited:
I would say that they're all good b&w shots. I'd try and reduce the noise in shots 2,5 and 6 and in the selective colour shot I'd intensify the orange colour of the lizard as well as increasing the contrast of the b&w background. This will make the picture more striking (to my eye anyway.) My favourite shot is the tiger, love it and how close to it were you standing lol.

7, 1, and 6 are my favorites (in that order).... A good series of shots, I may have cropped more tail in 2, moved the snakes eye into the right bottom 3rd in 4 (crop right side , add to left side), full focus on the lizard in 5, but overall these shots are interesting and I think you succeeded both techically and in capturing a unique atmosphere with each...

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I would say that they're all good b&w shots. I'd try and reduce the noise in shots 2,5 and 6 and in the selective colour shot I'd intensify the orange colour of the lizard as well as increasing the contrast of the b&w background. This will make the picture more striking (to my eye anyway.) My favourite shot is the tiger, love it and how close to it were you standing lol.

The light where the reptiles were, was really dim... Had to shoot in ISO3200 since I had to handheld the camera in a large zoom... But that's not the case for #6... I see what you mean about the noise though, will take a look if maybe made some mistake in PP, maybe it's the sharpening or forgot to mask the background.

7, 1, and 6 are my favorites (in that order).... A good series of shots, I may have cropped more tail in 2, moved the snakes eye into the right bottom 3rd in 4 (crop right side , add to left side), full focus on the lizard in 5, but overall these shots are interesting and I think you succeeded both techically and in capturing a unique atmosphere with each...

I was really close not to include #6 and #7, so I'm glad to hear these are amongst your favourites. I did try a different crop of the snake, but didn't like to 'loose' that much of her body (on the right side)... Will try again... The rest, focus in #5 and cropped tail in #2; I wish I could go back and change that too :(
I specially like what you say about capturing a unique atmosphere for each animal, which was basically my approach to all this... but most of the times it's hard to succeed.

Again, thank you both for your feedback! I was specially unsure about the b/w conversion since this was my first time :thumbup:

Have a nice day!

Regards,
LizardKing

Most reactions

New Topics

Back