Bees gone wild (but totally suitable for work)...

Peeb

Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK- below is a fairly pedestrian image of bees I took last October and posted on Flickr over the weekend. It somehow caught 'explore' and got almost 40,000 views instantly, with 500 'favs'. It was absolutely insane.

Ain't life strange- it's not a terrible image, but I would not count it in my top 10 (or 20 or even 50). Not sure how the 'explore' algorithm works, but it was nice to be noticed, I suppose. I know a lot of 'real' photographers that feel that most 'explore' photos are unimaginative and banal- but this is my third trip on the explore wave in my 10 weeks on flickr so perhaps I'm not too artistic. :D

Y'all are fairly familiar with my work- am I right that this is just a pretty ordinary shot?
Bees by Peeb, on Flickr

:suspicious:
That's the interweb community for ya.
I've looked at the 'explore' pics analytically (for the first time), and here is what I think I see: certain classes of photos have a greatly enhanced chance of success. Specifically, Explore seems to love (in no particular order):
  • Long exposures
  • Extreme focal lengths (super long or super wide)
  • Close ups of animals in nature
  • Macro shots (really loves these)
  • Interesting patterns
  • Bright colors
  • Beautiful landscapes
If you combine two or more of the above you are really rolling (for example, a beautiful landscape taken as a long exposure; macro of an interesting pattern, etc). I sense a real bias towards the macro shots, which surprised me since I haven't really been all that 'into' macros, but that's what I'm seeing. I suppose the remaining criteria I'm seeing do seem to fit into the niches that I also enjoy, so while it might not be high art- I understand and appreciate it!

I agree it's a nice shot but nothing special (sorry!). I find the Explore photos to be hit or miss. Maybe one out of every 20 will be what I consider exceptional. But hey, it's a nice way to pick up some followers and get a lot of views of your other stuff. Consider yourself followed.

Well, I like it! The colors are very nice, but the title of the thread is AWESOME!!

Last edited:
:suspicious:
That's the interweb community for ya.
I've looked at the 'explore' pics analytically (for the first time), and here is what I think I see: certain classes of photos have a greatly enhanced chance of success. Specifically, Explore seems to love (in no particular order):
  • Long exposures
  • Extreme focal lengths (super long or super wide)
  • Close ups of animals in nature
  • Macro shots (really loves these)
  • Interesting patterns
  • Bright colors
  • Beautiful landscapes
If you combine two or more of the above you are really rolling (for example, a beautiful landscape taken as a long exposure; macro of an interesting pattern, etc). I sense a real bias towards the macro shots, which surprised me since I haven't really been all that 'into' macros, but that's what I'm seeing. I suppose the remaining criteria I'm seeing do seem to fit into the niches that I also enjoy, so while it might not be high art- I understand and appreciate it!

Don't forget "nekkid wimmens'

Most reactions

New Topics

Back