Before Dawn

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
454-c1355.jpg

Wow, great color and I like the really wide on this a lot. Good comp

wow i like this one, is that before the dawn of man or of the day?

Just the day. This is what I woke up to this morning (9/24), about 30 feet from my cot. It felt timeless though- I didn't see another human being for nearly 48 hours.

Wow, that is stunning! Looks like fire :)

Thanks.

Wow, great color and I like the really wide on this a lot. Good comp

Thank you. Ambient light, even on a cloudless morning, has such an effect on the granite and desert vegetation. I'm already planning my next trip.

Awesome shot.....how do u get such great colours??

Thank you.

The properties of the landscape;
The granite in this area is pink (apelite?). The weathering tends to darken this to a reddish color.

Shoot before sunlight;
The biotite mica content is highly reflectant. Ambient light (before the direct sun rises) will bounce off the glassy mica particles. This was shot probably 15-20 minutes before actual sunrise.

Long exposure;
This was 13 seconds at f25. Slightly underexposed is better to retain the colors.

Post;
Slight levels and curve adjustments. Some dodging and burning for feature relief. You may notice there are no hard shadows.

Maybe use a warming filter on the foreground. The more I do these, the less I need to adjust with that.

IMO, the hardest thing about doing these is to get the focus right in near-dark conditions. I was thinking about carrying a flashlight, but I never remember, and they're too heavy anyhow, plus, I'd only need it for maybe 20 minutes. Once I start, I'm usually weighed down with my d80, d300, tripod, and canteen full of water (because it can get very hot, very fast). I go for about an hour after sunrise and spend about 30 minutes walking back.

That is a nice one. Love the colour and the contrasts.

Beautiful. Shots like these make me wish travel was easier. Nicely done, again, Abraxas.

Thank you Dmitri. I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back