before you were born

That first shot is just so powerful! There are all sorts of things you could say about it technically, but that's not what it's about. What I love about it is the uneasiness that breaking the compositional norm creates. Everything is moving OUT of frame, rather than into it, so lookingat the picture, it creates a sense of the unknown. I love it!

Very nice Traveler! The first one has that personal feeling that makes one feel like they are in the heat of the moment. Its quite similar to a lot of WW2 combat photography. A blurry, out of focus picture would normally be considered a blooper.....but a blurry, out of focus picture of a half submerged soldier crawling along to the beaches of Normandie on D-Day......historic gold!

Brian

Excellent series, that first one is amazing I can feel the intensity of the situation as if I was actually there.

I wish I had a film camera back in Iraq to take dirty pictures like these.
I have some disposable pictures but they didnt come out too well.

Over the next few months will try to clean up some other shots and post them to this thread. Nothing nearly so good as this, though. During Tet, I was generally too scared to think about pictures and most other times, well, bullets don't have music to announce them in real life.

Rainy season.

Bad shot but it gives you exactly the idea of what it's like

vietrainbz6.jpg

A typical govt building out in the provinces. one story stucco. not very fancy
Deserted because the VC controlled the area.

vietbldgqv1.jpg

Boys playing in the paddies behind the compound where I lived.

There is a long involved story involving a 3 AM alert that culminates with me not shooting a drunken Korean engineer who was late coming back from his girlfriend's home and was staggering towards the gate along the wall in the background, not responding to calls to halt.

But that was the punchline to the story.

If anyone has ever been in the dark, holding a gun, being afraid, you know that awful temptation to pull the trigger just to end the waiting and the tension. If there had been any random bang, the entire thing would have cascaded downhill from there.

vietboysgz9.jpg

For the first shot, I like how it's positioned towards the left, showing that it's an urgent action shot; it looks like a capture from an anti-war film.

wow. the first shot is one of the most awesome shots i've ever seen.
incredible. thank you for sharing that.

Your shutter speed in the first snap was around 125 maybe 250 because you have slight prop blur. As Vietnam Vets never were given the respect and welcome home they deserve ...

"Welcome home Colonel."

I was there in '67 and '68 as a correspondent. Spent a lot of time in I Corp. My brother was a door gunner with the 25th out of Cu Chi.

Unfortunately/Fortunately, UPI has all my negs ... but here's one from Central America ... another country, a different time ... but it's all the same.
28693890-L.jpg

Good Luck,
Gary

Most reactions

New Topics

Back