Beginner Buying first camera - help please?

ApeRadius

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am completley new to photography, but I've really enjoyed using my 1.3 megapixel camera (lol..) and I'd like to upgrade to a much nicer camera now that my birthday is coming up.

I am going to do Photography as a completley serious hobby, so I'd like to have the correct equipment.

Is there a specific camera that is good for a newb?
Now go easy on me with the lingo, I'm still learning it.
I looked around for a thread the same as what I'm asking now, but failed to find one.. so sorry if there is one :)

Thanks a lot for your help!

-Jesse

There are lots of excellent cameras on the market. It is a little difficult to recommend one without knowing how much you are willing to spend. One photo store I really recommend is B&H Photo at bhphoto.com, they are very knowledgable about their products.

Personally I prefer Canon cameras, some others Nikon. I just upgraded and bought a Canon Rebel XT with 2 lenses and a memory card for around $1250. That is an excellent camera. If you want to be more serious and get a Canon 20D that is closer to $2000 with lenses, etc.

I wish I could help more, but like I said there is such a range it is hard to help without knowing how much you are comfortable spending.

Yep , I'm also a Canon Fan.

I Think you can not go wrong with a Canon EOS350D (rebel Xt) or EOS 20D.

The bottom line is that you want to buy a camera that you can add on to.
essencially you are buying into a System. Look for a Camera that offers good choice of lenses and accesories. Even if you do not need those lenses or acc. You'll find that pretty soon you do want some of them. As you go further into Photography you'll buy more lenses , flashes etc. Then one day when it's time to upgrade that trusty old workhorse , you want to be able to buy a new camera that will use all the current lenses and acc.

Lest the Nikon people ban me from the board. Nikon are very Good cameras!! In the end you need to buy one that fulfills your needs.

If at all possible , go to a shop and handle all the cameras that end up on your shortlist. Touch them , feel them , see how they handle.

Hanno

Would it help if I told you I could spend around $500? I really don't know at at the moment because it would be a birthday gift that my family would go in on for me. I'd have to ask how much they would be willing to spend.

I'll let you know a more specific price, but maybe you could help me out for around the $500 range?

I really appreciate your help.

Also would anyone be able to contact me on AIM or MSN?

AIM: ApeRadius
MSN: [email protected]

thanks

CompactFlash media is your friend. That is what all the higher end cameras use, so whatever you get that is the media that will best grow with you.

Now since you mentioned this will be a serious hobby I would recommend a Canon Rebel (not the XT). This camera has been out for a few years, but is a Digital SLR that uses standard Canon lenses. All accessories and lenses will be able to grow with your hobby. HOwever this is still in the mid $600's.

If you don't want to jump into the Digital SLR take a look at Canon's high end powershot line such as the PowerShot Pro1, the PowerShot G6, etc. The store I prefer to buy from is B&H Photo at bhphoto.com.

I just bought my first real camera.

I spent $410 for everything camera lense warranty batteries case some rewards card and 6 rolls of film?

I bought the Rebel T2 and I love it.

Note its a film camera.

Welcome to the forum.

The problem with digital photography, is that to really get into it as a serious hobby...can be expensive. As mentioned, you want to buy a camera that is part of a system so that you can accessories as your hobby grows. That pretty much means that an SLR camera is the way to go. Digital SLRs start around $800 US (Digital Rebel)

Now keep in mind that just about any digital SLR will be much, much better (for serious photography) than just about any digi-cam...even the expensive ones. So my advice would be to save up the few extra hundred dollars and get the better camera...a DSLR.

Of course, you can get a film SLR camera for much less than a digital. The quality of images on film is still better than most digital cameras. Of course you have to pay for film & development as you go. It might be a good idea to get a film camera that is part of a system that can be upgraded to digital. For example, if you got a Canon EOS film camera (like the Rebel T2 mentioned above)...you could later get a digital EOS camera and use the same lenses & accessories that you used on the film camera.

^^very good point. i would recommend to get started a digital point and shoot and a sturdy manual focus 35mm. You will learn some digital stuff and learn alot about 'lingo' and how to apply what you know with the film camera. Once you get really good with a manual film camera, you're good to go on to other things. That's the best way to start off in my opinion.

I think I am going to get the Olympus C-765 for starting. In the end I'm going to get the rebel xt, but at the moment I am 16, about to buy a car and my money needs to go towards that.

So what is your oppinion on the Olympus C-765 for the price?

Thankyou!

Most reactions

Back