Beginner. Need a Bag.

Skep18

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone. I'm brand new to the DSLR scene. I've had a point and shoot for a while. It was more than just a little basic thing, but never had interchangeable lenses. But anyways.

Now I have a new Canon EOS Rebel 450D (XSi) with just the included 18-55mm lense. I have been searching this forum with no luck. I need some basic equipment to go with the camera. First and foremost, I need a camera bag QUICK! I'm going on vacation in a week! And I wanna bring the camera.

My criteria is I want it to be pretty basic:

Must hold my camera, preferrably with the lense still attached, my battery charger, couple of short cables, and maybe room for a flash or extra lense if I should ever choose to get one. The main thing being I don't wanna suitcase or backpack sized thing with like 10 pockets for lenses and such. Just some basic bag.

Also, I don't need the top of the line product necessarily. This meaning I don't wanna spend over $100 for a case really. Something that is good and recommended that'll get the job done should do just fine.

If you guys could throw in some recommendations that'd be sweet! Links to these items would be even better! I wanna get one ASAP so thanks in advance! :hug::

Go into any camera shop, or even an electronics box store. They should all have a decent selection of small and mid sized camera bags.

I tried to choose a camera bag by looking all over the web...but when I went into a store, I was able to get a much better idea of the size and layout of the different bags. I ended up getting something completely different that what I went in thinking I wanted. A lot of it is personal preference as well....what you like, may not be what I like etc.

Lowepro - All-Weather Shoulder Bag - Black - Rezo 110 AW

Get this one... I recommend picking up the packaged version. Comes with an extra battery pack and uv filter...

Thanks. Will this fit my camera with the lense on safely? I noticed it doesn't have any of those seperator things inside. Well, from what I saw on a Google search of images it didn't show up.

On a side note, I do own one Lowepro bag already for my other basic camera. I have been happy with it.

:mrgreen:

Go into any camera shop, or even an electronics box store. They should all have a decent selection of small and mid sized camera bags.

I tried to choose a camera bag by looking all over the web...but when I went into a store, I was able to get a much better idea of the size and layout of the different bags. I ended up getting something completely different that what I went in thinking I wanted. A lot of it is personal preference as well....what you like, may not be what I like etc.

Yea, I've been in a local camera shop and saw maybe one bag I'm currently considering, but am not sure about. I don't think it will fit my camera with the lense attached. I've also seen a big selection in Best Buy of the Lowepro bags. I just was wondering, being this seems like it should be a pretty common decision, if people had any "obvious" answer in this community.

lol, I'm a photography newb.

Get this one... I recommend picking up the packaged version. Comes with an extra battery pack and uv filter...

Thanks. Will this fit my camera with the lense on safely? I noticed it doesn't have any of those seperator things inside. Well, from what I saw on a Google search of images it didn't show up.

On a side note, I do own one Lowepro bag already for my other basic camera. I have been happy with it.

Well, Lowepro makes a lot of good bags. Like Big Mike said, go in to a camera shop or electronic store and look around. You might be able to find one that suits your taste better.

Well, Lowepro makes a lot of good bags. Like Big Mike said, go in to a camera shop or electronic store and look around. You might be able to find one that suits your taste better.

Thanks for the help!

I have 3 bags;

A back pack that holds everything, for when I want to carry it all (VERY HEAVY). This is my main bag, I keep everything in it so its easy to find when i need it. Photo Trekker AW I - linked to its replacement the II.

A back pack that is subdivided, the camera and a couple lenses fit in the bottom section, the top is for what ever else I might need, like lunch. I use this for hiking, and long outings where I dont need everytrhing, and want to travel light. An earlier version of this Fastpack Series.

And a standard shoulder bag that holds a couple lenses, for the stroll in the park days, very light travel. This one exactly.

So I guess the question should be, how many bags should I get? And the answer, get ones that fit the type of shooting you will be doing, and when you get home, put all your crap back in the big one so you can find it later! :mrgreen:

Hope this helps...

PS. I had the Canon bag, but gave it away, the lowepros are easy to remove logos, and don't generally scream "Expensive Gear Inside!".

I have 3 bags;
I have 9 or 10 :greenpbl:

So I guess the question should be, how many bags should I get? And the answer, get ones that fit the type of shooting you will be doing, and when you get home, put all your crap back in the big one so you can find it later!
:thumbup:

I have 3 bags;

A back pack that holds everything, for when I want to carry it all (VERY HEAVY). This is my main bag, I keep everything in it so its easy to find when i need it. Photo Trekker AW I - linked to its replacement the II.

A back pack that is subdivided, the camera and a couple lenses fit in the bottom section, the top is for what ever else I might need, like lunch. I use this for hiking, and long outings where I dont need everytrhing, and want to travel light. An earlier version of this Fastpack Series.

And a standard shoulder bag that holds a couple lenses, for the stroll in the park days, very light travel. This one exactly.

So I guess the question should be, how many bags should I get? And the answer, get ones that fit the type of shooting you will be doing, and when you get home, put all your crap back in the big one so you can find it later! :mrgreen:

Hope this helps...

PS. I had the Canon bag, but gave it away, the lowepros are easy to remove logos, and don't generally scream "Expensive Gear Inside!".

Thanks. I don't have a lot of stuff, so I'm looking for one more like the latter you mentioned. Except for just the camera and minor things. :mrgreen:

I would highly suggest any type of backpack camera bag. If you have a laptop get one that fits the laptop as well. It's great for traveling!

Check out your local online used ads, there's usually one in there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back