Belted Kingfisher

wackii

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I ran into this unexpectedly. He/she is kinda far away. Major cropping. As always C&C is welcome!
$kingfisher-2.jpg

Nice sharp shot and good composition. I like your use of negative space so that the bird has "something" to look or fly into.

WesternGuy

Nice sharp shot and good composition. I like your use of negative space so that the bird has "something" to look or fly into.

WesternGuy

Thanks. This guy is pretty shy... I'll see if I can get closer next time.

What lens were you using for the original shot? I suspect that you will find out, as I did, that often the only way to get "closer" is with a 600mm lens.:sexywink:

WesternGuy

It has a great feel to it. I get a sense of movement from the wind blown feathers.

Ditto what WesternGuy wrote!

What lens were you using for the original shot? I suspect that you will find out, as I did, that often the only way to get "closer" is with a 600mm lens.:sexywink:

WesternGuy

I was using the Sigma 50-500mm OS. As soon as I stepped closer, he flew away to another branch. I took that shot by inching in slowly but still far away then I wanted it. There were two of them but one is more shy than the other.

Al,

It has a great feel to it. I get a sense of movement from the wind blown feathers.

You are right. It was a little windy which was shown on his blown feathers. Not sure if it's a he or a she...

Better than any photo I've yet gotten of a belted kingfisher. Man, those things are flighty! They can sense you just *thinking* about taking another step closer!

Took me about 20 mins to inch in slowly for that shot.

Most reactions

Back