Best Canon walk around lens?

I have a friend with a 28-300 (Tamron or Sigma) and he loves it! I've seen his shots (we are the two "photo nuts" at the office) and they are clear and sharp so it really seems to be a good lens. It's about $400 but you wouldn't have to change lenses very often.

Marctwo said:
I don't think many here will take that lens seriously.

Yeah I know.:er: I've kinda gotten used to it. I work in a "high class" office too - and after you get used to parking a Kia next to Mercedes every day you begin to realize they both get the job done.

Marctwo said:
However, I have one myself (Sigma) and I can't imagine life without it. :thumbup: :D

I'm saving up for it myself - can't wait for Christmas!!!:D

Walk around lens is doesn't really give a good description of what you want. It all depends on what you like to shoot, and what focal length you will use most often. I think most people deem a walk around lens as a wide angle zoom, that stretches into the short telephoto range.

If you want the "best" in that range, I think you are talking the 24-70 f/2.8 L.

Tamron also makes a 24-70 3.5-5 which I've heard good things about, and certainly it will be much cheaper.

Digital Matt said:
Walk around lens is doesn't really give a good description of what you want.
That's very true.

24-70 L is surely great and is really sharp, weather sealed and tought working tool. Also expensive, huge and weighs about a ton... and it does have some barrel distortion, but can still be used in architecture.

Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 has a great rep as a budget lens. You have about 50/50 of getting a sharp copy from what I read on the net. It's stuffed with aspherical glass so it's lighter and much easier to handle. Slower AF and poorer build.

50mm f/1.8 (either I or II...not sure. Does anyone know about the generation difference? Build, quality)
One has a metal mount and distance scale. The second one doesn't.

From the other choices...I still think the 28-105 still comes out on top. Does anyone else have anything in a reasonable price range (under $300) that beats out the 28-105 (1st gen)? I'm open to anything...
Tamron might be better with f/2.8

Finally, the last one that I'll end up getting is probably the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM after I can get the money together...

After that...I'll go with a few prime lenses...

Does anyone else think that there is a better way to approach this?
I'd kill myself if had this setup. :lol:

Slow tele lenses which work in daylight, and no wide angle.

Alright...well, if you were in my position, what would you get (lens-wise)?

I'd get a tokina 17mm - 28mm equiv
35mm f/2 - slight tele
50/1.8 - portrait lens

For a long-ish telephoto I'd either go with 70-200 f/4 L or 70-200 f/2.8 sigma or 135/2 L The sigma would probably be the most versatile, cause you rarely need that shallow DOF of f/2 and it gives you freedom to crop with zoom when it's the hardest to do it by moving yourself.

Maybe I'd add a 24 or 28mm later to the lens collection.

Digital Matt said:
Walk around lens is doesn't really give a good description of what you want. It all depends on what you like to shoot, and what focal length you will use most often. I think most people deem a walk around lens as a wide angle zoom, that stretches into the short telephoto range.

If you want the "best" in that range, I think you are talking the 24-70 f/2.8 L.

Tamron also makes a 24-70 3.5-5 which I've heard good things about, and certainly it will be much cheaper.

I think Matt sums it up nicely.. I have the 17-85mm IS lens. ITs not a bad lens. But it certainly isnt upto L series quality. I chose the 17-85mm lens over the kit lens, It only cost me a couple hundred more when I bought my 20D.
My next lens I will buy is the 24-70 f/2.8 L and 70-200 f/2.8 L canon lens. :mrgreen:

As I have told you in the past, I have the 28-105 and I love it. It may not be L quality, but my kit lens was just crap so this is a huge step up. Primes are great way to go for lower cost sharp lenses. I was lucky enough to have a friend with the lens i wanted, so i just borrowed it for a day to make sure I like its. I passed up the 28-135 IS for mainly three reasons:

1. I was able to buy a awsome copy of the 28-105 for 150 bucks on Fred Miranda.
2. With the money I saved I was able to buy a 50mm 1.8 and go out for some beers and wings for a couple weeks
3. I didn't like how big the 28-135 felt as a walk around lens.

Here is a test between the two. http://www.tawbaware.com/canon_lens_test.htm

Once you figure out what you want, check out fred miranda's Buy and Sell area on the his forum. Just post what your looking to buy and people will contact you.

Look, we all have different ideas on what is "best". The thing is - what will be "best" for Cessium?

It all depends on what he wants to shoot. If he wants "to be ready for anything" then go with a lens that has a wider range. Shooting mostly daytime then don't worry so much about the F stop. Don't like bulky, then go with one of the newer compact lenses (The 28-300 Sigma folds up to like 4" and 4oz). It all depends on what Cessium wants to shoot and what his needs are (not all of our varied idiosyncrasies).

Cessium, take everything posted for what its worth but only you know for sure which ideas fit your needs best.

(Yes, I am ranting this morning.)

LizM said:
Look, we all have different ideas on what is "best". The thing is - what will be "best" for Cessium?

It all depends on what he wants to shoot. If he wants "to be ready for anything" then go with a lens that has a wider range. Shooting mostly daytime then don't worry so much about the F stop. Don't like bulky, then go with one of the newer compact lenses (The 28-300 Sigma folds up to like 4" and 4oz). It all depends on what Cessium wants to shoot and what his needs are (not all of our varied idiosyncrasies).

Cessium, take everything posted for what its worth but only you know for sure which ideas fit your needs best.

(Yes, I am ranting this morning.)

Thanks...I really appreciate the help...everyone.:thumbup:

Most reactions

Back