best flash for the money for a sony A65

smilesyota

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Looking for a flash to fool around with. Getting familiar with my A65 and want to try some new things with flash. Any suggestions? other brands that would work?

I currently own both the HVL-F58AM and the HVL-F43AM. Overall, both do the same. Of course, the 58 has a bit more lighting power, but the 43 is more than adecuate. The 43 is also smaller, which makes it easier to handle. The smaller brother is also mositure proof and dust proof... IS the 58 worth an additional $150? I don't think so, so I recommend the HVL-F43AM. Of course, there are other cheaper alternatives out there (Vivitar, etc.) but I have yet to try those...

Fool around flash ?
I picked up an old Minolta 3600 HS D

I would go with a Sony brand to start. You wont need an adaptor to use it and you could use it wirelessly. If you wanted to get fancy I would recommend getting some radio poppers and then you could use lots of different kinds of flashes but it would require adaptors sometimes depending on the flash unit you used but you could get cheaper flash units. Food for thought.

You can pick up a hvl-f42 fairly inexpensive on the used market it will act as a off camera slave with TTL and HSS using the pop-up or a 58, 43, or 20 as a master. If your looking for new I would look into the HVL-F43M.

Last edited:
Fool around flash ?
I picked up an old Minolta 3600 HS D

I would go with a Sony brand to start. You wont need an adaptor to use it and you could use it wirelessly.

That Minolta flash is fully compatible with the Sony cameras ... including wireless.

Minolta/Konica Minolta/Sony Alpha flashes

With an adaptor. You could get the hvl42am for the same price and no adaptor needed.

Does the minolta have highspeed sync capabilities?

would this work? anyone have any know gripes with this company?

Metz mecablitz 50 AF-1 TTL Shoe Mount Flash for Sony MZ 50316S

From what the specs state it should work fine on a Sony camera. Seems like it would do everything that the Sony brand flashes could do. But I have never heard of this company nor heard of anyone using this brand of flash. So you are on your own in that respect. But the price doesnt seem too bad. I paid about $200 for my hvl-42am.

Most reactions

Back