Best low light set up for the money?

T3i with a EF-s 10 - 22 mm fast ,fun, light and in budget.
I bought a 5 d mk 2 used about 6 months ago for 1500$ gripped with L bracket, under 5k actuations.
I own a t3i too, It really is a nice camera and in the right hands produces professional pictures

Good luck finding what you are looking for.

Oh, another option to consider is a film camera.

That gives you full frame benefits for portraiture like shallower DOF, for very little money.
You can grab a modern electronic film SLR that will work with Canon lens autofocus and image stabilization, etc. for like $30.
$8 or so per rolls + developing them + printing or scanning the few photos you like the most. Significantly less if you learn how to do it yourself.

Depends how long your trip is, I guess. And if you want to upload stuff during, etc. If you only plan to take 1,000-2,000 photos (film you shoot a LOT less, this is the equivalent of maybe 5-10,000 digital camera shots), you might save a reasonable amount of money, and be less of a robbery target, etc. to boot.

Oh, another option to consider is a film camera.

That gives you full frame benefits for portraiture like shallower DOF, for very little money.
You can grab a modern electronic film SLR that will work with Canon lens autofocus and image stabilization, etc. for like $30.
$8 or so per rolls + developing them + printing or scanning the few photos you like the most. Significantly less if you learn how to do it yourself.

Depends how long your trip is, I guess. And if you want to upload stuff during, etc. If you only plan to take 1,000-2,000 photos (film you shoot a LOT less, this is the equivalent of maybe 5-10,000 digital camera shots), you might save a reasonable amount of money, and be less of a robbery target, etc. to boot.

This is one of the craziest ideas yet. I mean come on...first off, he's gonna save like $1175 by buying a used Canon EOS camera from Goodwill for like $30. I'm not that great at math, but let's say he has to spend another $99 to get a Canon 50/1.8 lens...so his total savings are only like a little under $1100. THAT MEANS he can only buy like 75 rolls of 36-exposure film. And instead of risking a $1200 camera setup, he's risking the existence of a $129 camera/lens combo!!! Madness, I tell you, sheer, utter madness!

THen there's the idea of applying selectivity and judgement to his entire photographic "take". Instead of an instant, digital regurgitation/web-splooge of EVERYTHING SHOT, you're advocating careful, selective evaluation of the photographic results. That's just crazy-talk, Gav, just total, unadulterated crazy-talk! By doing that he risks showing people only the best of the best, and condemning the "rest of the rest" to going un-seen!!!

Sarcasm rarely works on the internet, but sometimes it does.

Yet another profound profundity from the Designer.

THE Designer

This is one of the craziest ideas yet. I mean come on...first off, he's gonna save like $1175 by buying a used Canon EOS camera from Goodwill for like $30. I'm not that great at math, but let's say he has to spend another $99 to get a Canon 50/1.8 lens...so his total savings are only like a little under $1100. THAT MEANS he can only buy like 75 rolls of 36-exposure film. And instead of risking a $1200 camera setup, he's risking the existence of a $129 camera/lens combo!!! Madness, I tell you, sheer, utter madness!

Yup. So, we need ot have Gavjenks locked up. Hmm.. My guess is that's not the first time someone put forth that opinion.. rotflmao...

THen there's the idea of applying selectivity and judgement to his entire photographic "take". Instead of an instant, digital regurgitation/web-splooge of EVERYTHING SHOT, you're advocating careful, selective evaluation of the photographic results. That's just crazy-talk, Gav, just total, unadulterated crazy-talk! By doing that he risks showing people only the best of the best, and condemning the "rest of the rest" to going un-seen!!!

Hmm.. ok, wait.. you say "instant digital regurgitation / web splooge" like it's a bad thing. Weird.

Lol

THE Designer

Sooooo, you're saying that YOU are "the designer" of sarcasm! Right???

I know you don't like the idea of a flash, but it would probably be the best option. My advice is to get a flash, such as a Yongnuo of some type or a Metz, and a flash mounted softbox like this inexpensive option from Fotodiox www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Speedlight-Speedlite-600EX-RT-Panasonic/dp/B003Y30334/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1391634424&sr=8-3&keywords=fotodiox. I use the softbox a lot in my wedding photography. Combine that with a Canon of your choice and maybe pick up a used 50mm f/1.8 and one would be pretty well set up for that kind of photography.

THE Designer

Sooooo, you're saying that YOU are "the designer" of sarcasm! Right???

Actually not THAT Designer. I have tried sarcasm many times on the webz only to have it UTTERLY FAIL every time.

Tip-O'-The-Hat

A flash light. ;)

Most reactions

Back