Best place to get rolls of film in Canada

sergeh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

not sure if this is the right section to post but here goes

I've been doing digital photography for the past 5 years now and I recently decided to start shooting film. Actually I'm still waiting for my camera to arrive (Canon AE-1 Program), kind of excited about it! I decided to stock up on film before it gets here and I've noticed that stores here are relatively expensive compared to B&H.

My problem is that I live in Canada and whatever I save with B&H is lost because of shipping + duties. Does anyone know of a good online store that's based in Canada, or even a cheap store in Montreal, Canada?

Just to give you guys a comparison, Tri-X 400 costs 6.59$ per roll in local stores and 3.05$ on B&H!

I don't think you'll find a place in Canada that is as affordable as B&H - if you do - LET ME KNOW! You may want to check out Ebay, or look for people selling off their film stock.

The price different between Canada vs US is just insane.
I just priced out a lens on B&H and even with the shipping it was still less than the lowest price I could find in Canada. :S

Tell me about it!

On an unrelated note, can anyone tell me what's the difference between Kodak Tri-X 400 and Kodak Tri-X 400 Pan ??

Check local ads,
I found 150 rolls of film for 40 bucks the other day.

I don't think you'll find a place in Canada that is as affordable as B&H - if you do - LET ME KNOW! You may want to check out Ebay, or look for people selling off their film stock.

The price different between Canada vs US is just insane.
I just priced out a lens on B&H and even with the shipping it was still less than the lowest price I could find in Canada. :S

I bought most of my stuff off local ads, and BH, its insanely cheaper. canadas henrys and vistek and all they other ones are so expsive if you compare with adorama and bh its ridiculous. I am al about supporting local and canadian but when its more than 30-40 % more expensive, hell no.

We get ripped off on EVERYTHING, cell phones, camera gear, cars, you name it - we probably pay more for it.

Better mark it up for the Canadians!

I found that The Camera Store has the best prices in Canada, but they still don't come close to American shops.

I bought most of my stuff off local ads, and BH, its insanely cheaper. canadas henrys and vistek and all they other ones are so expsive if you compare with adorama and bh its ridiculous. I am al about supporting local and canadian but when its more than 30-40 % more expensive, hell no.

Same here but since I've never really shot film before, I'd like to test out different black & white films and it's really not worth it for me to buy in bulk. I think I need to get over 20 rolls from B&H to actually save a decent amount of money when I was thinking of only getting 5 for now.

It's too bad everything is so expensive in Canada!

Just curious about the Ilford B&W films...would they be as expensive in Canada as Tri-X, or TMAX?

Ilford HP5 Plus 35mm 36 Exposure - $6.49 at the Camera store...

Personally I love Ilford film, and I'll continue to support their company over the others because of their commitment to film.

are you devlopping the film yourself? if not, they will charge you a good amount of money to process and develop your film in a lab.

If your nop planing on processing the film yourself. get some C-41 film.

C-41 film can be done at any 1 hour photo center for like 2 bucks.

Kodak also has black and white c-41 film that is not bad.
Kodak BW400CN 135-36 Black & White Film 1629617 B&H Photo

I have the epson v500 flatbed scanner (paid 120$) and it does a great job at scanning negatives so if your doing it wisely, shooting film can be fun and cheap.

are you devlopping the film yourself? if not, they will charge you a good amount of money to process and develop your film in a lab.

If your nop planing on processing the film yourself. get some C-41 film.

C-41 film can be done at any 1 hour photo center for like 2 bucks.

I have the epson v500 flatbed scanner (paid 120$) and it does a great job at scanning negatives so if your doing it wisely, shooting film can be fun and cheap.

I'm still pretty new at film photography but I'm planning on developing B&W films myself since it seems like a pretty straightforward process. I'm not sure what printing costs are but I'll probably end up taking the developed negatives to a lab for print (hoping it won't cost too much)

I've never used the Kodak B&W C-41 film myself, but I used to work at a lab and all the prints I saw were crap! Very muddy looking - this was about 8+ years ago so maybe they have improved it? But I wouldn't use it personally.

Developing your own B&W is the way to go. Printing costs will vary, places like walmart product crap B&W prints but they are cheap. Investing in a good film scanner will probably be beneficial. Printing from a digital image is cheaper than printing from a negative.

Good to know! I can't wait to start, literally counting the minutes before my camera gets here (won't be for a few more days sadly :()

can anyone tell me what's the difference between Kodak Tri-X 400 and Kodak Tri-X 400 Pan ??

There is no difference. Some TRI-X packaging contains the word "pan" and some doesn't but it's the same
film. "Pan" means panchromatic (sensitive to all colors) which all TRI-X film is.

Most reactions

Back