Best Size of SD Card To Shoot Raw?

TheTickTockMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What size card do you suggest to shoot RAW?

I just bought a Canon R6 Mii and two 256gb cards. After watching a couple Youtube video I am wondering if I need larger cards. Thoughts?

How quickly do you fill up those cards?

Another issue is... some cameras won't accept a memory card over a certain size.

How quickly do you fill up those cards?

Another issue is... some cameras won't accept a memory card over a certain size.

I have not got the cards yet, but good questions.

I used a number of cards 16gb to 64 gbI don’t want all my images on just one card just in case
on holiday I have two or more cards for the morning and the same for afternoon
new cards for each day
depends how much you trust tech and how you want to shoot
nb I shoot raw and jpg at the same time, so however many shots I take it’s times 2

I used a number of cards 16gb to 64 gbI don’t want all my images on just one card just in case
on holiday I have two or more cards for the morning and the same for afternoon
new cards for each day
depends how much you trust tech and how you want to shoot
nb I shoot raw and jpg at the same time, so however many shots I take it’s times 2

So how many pictures can you get on a 64gb? I will mostly be doing JPEG, but I will try my hand at RAW for certain subjects.

I use 128GB cards with my D850 and Z9. That size allows for about a thousand images at 45.7mp lossless compressed. I rarely shoot more than that in a session (usually about 800 when out birding), but I carry spares in case. Mem cards do fail and I worry about putting too many images, especially across multiple sessions, on any given card.

So how many pictures can you get on a 64gb? I will mostly be doing JPEG, but I will try my hand at RAW for certain subjects.

If you're going to toggle between JPEG and raw, then get the largest capacity card you can get.

Depends on how many shots you want to lose if the card goes bad. For still shots RAW + JPEG I use 32gb cards. If I am shooting video also I'll use 64gb or 128gb. I've never lost a shot changing cards.

Depends. Check your manual to see which cards and the maximum size your camera can handle. Does the camera have one or two card slots. Finally are you planning on saving RAW+ (RAW and JPEG each image)? My cameras use interchangeable cards and have dual slots. I prefer to use smaller cards, and rotate them out. Cards can an do go bad.

I doubt that my camera manual is any better than yours, and it lists the brands and specifications of the cards they've tested and recommend. It also lists the number of pictures the various size cards will hold depending upon file size.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back