Best Size of SD Card To Shoot Raw?

So how many pictures can you get on a 64gb? I will mostly be doing JPEG, but I will try my hand at RAW for certain subjects.
Take one image. Look at how big it is device the mem card by the size of the image

According to this calculator, my 128MB card will deliver approximately 1,777 RAW images from my 24mp camera.

X5m8qzp-1%21sizeoriginal.jpeg

So even if you work at a 50% that’s still a lot of images

What size card do you suggest to shoot RAW?

Here's a question no one's asked. What are you planning on shooting? Portraits, landscapes, events, travel? That will somewhat dictate the size cards you need. SD cards aren't designed for safe long term storage, so why do you need storage for a thousand images, if you're only shooting less than a hundred at a time. In a studio setting I might shoot 50 shots in a set, but I'm tethered so the card is irrelevant. When traveling I rarely shoot much over a hundred per day, then download in the evening. If I were planning a trip to somewhere that made transferring images daily impractical then I'd look at a larger capacity card.

Here's a question no one's asked. What are you planning on shooting? Portraits, landscapes, events, travel? That will somewhat dictate the size cards you need. SD cards aren't designed for safe long term storage, so why do you need storage for a thousand images, if you're only shooting less than a hundred at a time. In a studio setting I might shoot 50 shots in a set, but I'm tethered so the card is irrelevant. When traveling I rarely shoot much over a hundred per day, then download in the evening. If I were planning a trip to somewhere that made transferring images daily impractical then I'd look at a larger capacity card.

It is for traveling that I purchased an iPAD, in order to use it as a conduit to transfer images from my camera to a small portable SSD.

s for traveling that I purchased an iPAD, in order to use it as a conduit to transfer images from my camera to a small portable SSD.
That's a much safer option than leaving them on a SD card. So if you transfer why do you need storage for so many images on your SD card?

That's a much safer option than leaving them on a SD card. So if you transfer why do you need storage for so many images on your SD card?

I am not all that concerned with storage space on my cards. I burn RAW images to one card, and JPEG's to the second card. 1700+ RAW images to one card is way more than I will shoot at one event. And with memory cards being so cheap lately, I have no problem with backing up my snaps to a small portable SSD, and leaving them on the card. I then just drop a new card into my rig.

Just calculate the space you require against your photo sizes but as already stated here memory is relatively cheap, decide on the maximum number of files you want to be able to hold and multiply to reach the desired card size.

I also send JPG`s to a 128Bg card and RAW files to a 256Gb. Even though my RAW files are 125Mb each that still gives me approx 2,000 RAW images on the card - I never get to that figure of course but it gives me more than enough buffer room and ensures I am unlikely to get caught with a full memory card.

Of course shooting style will impact also - if you are shooting wildlife eg. and are on burst mode permanenrly you will have to take thaty into consideration.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back