Best sports photos of the decade?

And others are decidedly cliche and dull and boring and near garbage--like the guy lifting the trophy over his head--how lame! Several of the photos are mediocre at best. I did like the ballet-like football photo with all the guys leaping in the air amidst driving rain...and I thought the sunabathing women on the rooftop with the formula race car driving below was clever....but the shot of the Formula 1 driver hoisting the trophy--yet another crap photo, totally undeserving of a "best of decade" award--hardly even best of the day. A selection of 10 best-of photos with two dull,boring "we won this trophy" shots is ridiculous.

Cliché and lame does not necessarily mean a picture isn't bad. Yes it's done a million times before, but the point of sports photography isn't exactly to do creative art, it's simply to capture the moment. Just so happens that the holding the trophy above the head is a moment that happens precisely once every game for every sport.

Not best photo of the decade sure, but not exactly garbage either.

That one of Tyson is awesome though. That's one of the few photos in there that conveys some more unique emotions. Also check out the little Asian guy on the right. :lol:

SOme of those photos are so,so incredibly week, they would not make the grade for inclusion in a monthly best-of, let alone a Best of Decade gallery. The footballer sticking his tongue out and making a stupid face? Pathetic. And the Jenson trophy shot--VERY boring and a flat-out lame photograph. An amateur standing there could have captured the same photo...it's a cliche of epic proportions,and it's simply lame.

I thought the original poster's use of a question mark in his title was appropriate. I cannot for the life of me understand why over half of those photographs would be considered "Best of Decade" quality in any conceivable manner. Most-memorable photos?

Sports photos - Sports Illustrated photo galleries - SI.com

A quick look through even three or four of these galleries will reveal a dozen or more "memorable" sports photos. The original list looks like a one-hour cobbled together Best of Decade effort...half of the photos are simply not good sports photos. Three of them are interesting, the rest are "meh". But then, I look at lots of sports photos from Sports Illustrated, where the skill level of the shooters, and the artistic,creative,and and technical standards are significantly higher than those being used at the OP's link.

Let's look at SI.com's photos of the past WEEK, for comparison

Leading Off: Pictures of the Week - Photos - SI.com

I was going to direct y'all to Sports Illustrated - the current issue, in particular - but Derrel beat me to it. They're pretty much all better than any of these, in my opinion.

That one of Tyson is awesome though. That's one of the few photos in there that conveys some more unique emotions. Also check out the little Asian guy on the right.

...and that dude on the far right: is it Will Farrell or George W.???

Jon

And others are decidedly cliche and dull and boring and near garbage--like the guy lifting the trophy over his head--how lame! . . .

I thought, wow, that's a little harsh... Derrel ,must think he's top $h!t. But after looking at the pics "Of the decade" I would have to agree with Derrel 100%.

Still a bit harsh in my opinion. Comparing photos from Sports Illustrated a company with a very very different focus than Press Association, even the worst SI pictures will trump PA.

. . . Comparing photos from Sports Illustrated a company with a very very different focus than Press Association, even the worst SI pictures will trump PA.

I considered that as well. But those are the pics they drummed up for best of the DECADE? With the exception of a few, that's a pretty sad lot.

SOme of those photos are so,so incredibly week, they would not make the grade for inclusion in a monthly best-of, let alone a Best of Decade gallery. The footballer sticking his tongue out and making a stupid face? Pathetic. And the Jenson trophy shot--VERY boring and a flat-out lame photograph. An amateur standing there could have captured the same photo...it's a cliche of epic proportions,and it's simply lame.

I thought the original poster's use of a question mark in his title was appropriate. I cannot for the life of me understand why over half of those photographs would be considered "Best of Decade" quality in any conceivable manner. Most-memorable photos?

Sports photos - Sports Illustrated photo galleries - SI.com

A quick look through even three or four of these galleries will reveal a dozen or more "memorable" sports photos. The original list looks like a one-hour cobbled together Best of Decade effort...half of the photos are simply not good sports photos. Three of them are interesting, the rest are "meh". But then, I look at lots of sports photos from Sports Illustrated, where the skill level of the shooters, and the artistic,creative,and and technical standards are significantly higher than those being used at the OP's link.

Let's look at SI.com's photos of the past WEEK, for comparison

Leading Off: Pictures of the Week - Photos - SI.com

If David Davies was asked to shoot the sort of shot that go in SI they would, the shots in the gallery are for a totally different use than the ones in SI

The BBC News photos are a list of 'the most memorable' photos....not the 'best' photos. So I can excuse them from being great photos, or even technically good.

I remember looking at several of these types of 'best photo' lists for new organizations and many of them are technically poor photos...they might be blurry etc. But it's the moment captured in time that is important...not the sharpness or exposure of the photo, that is memorable.

. . . Comparing photos from Sports Illustrated a company with a very very different focus than Press Association, even the worst SI pictures will trump PA.

I considered that as well. But those are the pics they drummed up for best of the DECADE? With the exception of a few, that's a pretty sad lot.

Well "their" best of the decade. All that really says is if you like sports photography don't work for PA. :lmao:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back